Thursday, January 06, 2005

you coulda died...but it's rare!


That's seriously what someone told me today when I said I had sleep apnia last night. I know she didn't mean to freak me out--she's a friend--but it freaked me out, because just about everything does.

I think my freaking-out-thing is warranted here, though, because last night totally sucked. I went to bed early and everything and was all happy with myself for taking the first step toward being more organized and responsible so I could perform better at my job. That was the plan, y'know. And I think it's a nice plan. Normally, I'd say fuck responisibility, because it's lame, and really I have other things to worry about--like everything else.

I fell asleep after watching Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (a masterpiece) promptly at 1:30am, and listening to the soothing, if not frightening, sounds of the BBC World Service, a good three hours earlier than usual. Two hours later, my eyes popped open and I thought "funny, that" and felt like I might have to puke. A second later, I flew out of bed gasping for air and moved in a daze toward my bedroom door and opened, sucking for wind. I think I was instinctively heading toward the hospital which is just three blocks away. A few moments later, all was okay, but those few moments really sucked (literally and figuratively).

It took me a little while to fall asleep afterwards because I didn't want it to happen again, but I was sleepy as fuck, yo. I related my story to my friendly co-worker and she replied. "That's what Reggie White died from...But it's rare!" As if she realized it would freak me out. It did anyway. However, I live.

RIP Reggie White.



This blog is turning into the obits.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

Remember that the next time you feel like smoking. Sleep apnea occurs far more often in smokers than non-smokers. I've woken up many a night from not breathing. Not fun.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger