Monday, January 17, 2005

buzz

I've heard a lot about 2046, a film from director Kar Wai Wong. Actually, all I heard about the movie was the title. I had no idea what it was about, but I kept hearing the name, and that alone was enough to convince me to see it. I'm really open to suggestions.

It was hard for me to follow, but I wasn't totally disappointed. At one point, I considered turning off the subtitles to just take in the images, because they told enough of a story; the dialog sometimes got in the way--and the copy I'd gotten a hold of had poor subtitles. It was kind of long and slow, and jumped around from reality to fantasy and from past to present to future, but it was worth watching for the visuals and for the themes. It didn't hurt that the principle actresses were as beautiful (and talented) as the cinematography. Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi both starred and were excellent, but I was most impressed by Faye Wong, who I guess is a pop star in China.



She played the daughter of a hotel owner and an android with slow reaction time in the sci-fi fantasy sequences. Her facial expressions were moving; I like it when a movie can express things without language.

The film was about a writer who was a chronic womanizer and the women he had relationships with, whether they were brief or involved. It got me thinking about writing again, and how I'm completely unable to do it lately. I've either lost my taste for it or my confidence to do it. I've even steered away from writing articles for the magazines, because the ones I have to do, I can't bring myself to write. I'm sure I'll get over it. I have to, because I have deadlines to meet.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger