Monday, January 10, 2005

don't get your hopes up, kid

So, I've been a New York Mets fan since I was in the womb. Literally, baseball is in my blood, and there are few things in the world that make me as happy as when I'm watching a good baseball game. One of the worst parts of moving to California was losing much of my immediate contact with my Mets--those lovable losers. Over the years, we've had a bunch of ups and downs, but no matter how ridiculous they get with the losing and disappointment, I always come back for more, because I'm a fan, and I'm stubborn, and I really haven't got anything better to do. To be sure, though, being an avid Mets fan has probably shaved a good 10 years off my life--and counting. I'd like to think those were the 10 shitty years, though.

The real reason I keep coming back, though, is because every so often, they'll do something amazing, like the kind of shit that you'll only see in a movie or something--like pulling out the 1986 World Series or Robin Ventura hitting the "grand slam single" to beat the braves in game 5 of the 1999 NLCS in the 15th inning (felt like the 40th inning to be honest).

Today I was sitting in this bar that I'd rather never go to, but went today because I can get free lunch there. It's a total fraternity boy spot, and while I realize not all fraternity boys are assholes, I've had enough run-ins to keep me away. Besides, you can only listen to so much Godsmack blaring over a crowded room before you go crazy. But the place makes a mean cheese steak and when you're poor as I am, you've gotta do what you gotta do. It's pretty empty during lunch time, and since all the students were gone, it was downright desolate. I sat at a booth that was playing Sportscenter, and that's when I read on the tickertape at the bottom of the screen that my stupid Mets had signed five-tool stud Carlos Beltran to a seven year deal. Of course, I phoned my father immediately. I had to leave a message but he called me right back.

"We got Beltran," I said.

"I know," my father answered. "I found out last night. I was going to call and tell you, but it was late."

See? It totally runs in the family. Like snoring.



The hopes and dreams--at least regarding baseball--of my father and I now lay, more or less, on this guy's shoulders. Let's see how many years being a part of the Mets takes off of his life.

Anyway, Carlos, welcome to my blog, and welcome to the Mets! I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. With any luck, you won't be another high-profile bust, because really good players such as yourself like to forgot how to play baseball once they don the orange and blue; and I apologize in advance for all the cursing your name I may be doing in the future. I'll leave the negativity behind for now and just be happy that such a great player will wear my favorite team's uniform. With any luck, your stay will be a pleasant one.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You know what a "poof" is in Australia? It's a gay dude!
"Check out that poof"! Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Love your banner btw.
Now about the size of font lately.....i have to take my contact lenses out to read it and i'm short sighted!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger