Wednesday, January 26, 2005

the red carpet

My latest girlfriend-who-doesn't-know-it-yet Catalina Sandino Moreno received an Academy Award nomination for Maria Full of Grace. I'd like to think that my glowing endorsement of her performance played a big part in that. I promise I'll squee like a teenage girl if you take home the Oscar, but in the manliest way possible...

I have to admit I'm a sucker for the Oscars, even if I rarely see the movies that get nominated. I usually see at least one, but I've been slipping--and I think Spider-Man 2 got hosed. Anyone who didn't want to stand up and cheer when Spidey saved that train full of people isn't anyone I'd like to know. Go, Spidey!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was also one of the better movies of last year, if not my favorite. I waited a long time to watch it because of all the hype surrounding it, and I just wanted to sit back and enjoy it with out all the noise, but I guess it came out too early in 2004, which is a real shame. That happens all the time, though. They say that the Academy doesn't have a very long memory. Didn't The Aviator come out just last week or something? I'm glad to see that Charlie Kaufman got his props for best screenplay and Kate Winslett got a nod for best actress, both of which are really well-deserved.

I'll watch the Oscars this year, like I do every year, to coo at all the pretty girls, complain about all the damn commercials (it's kinda like the Super Bowl that way) and make up things I'd say if I won an Academy Award like, "Most of all, I'd like to thank myself, because without me, none of this would be possible." I like it when the people for best short subject or best short subject animation win and absolutely freak the fuck out and get cut off by the music because what Tom Hanks has to say is way more important. I'll make sure I have plenty of beer for this one.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

Last night, my father was on his computer and he called me over with his heavy accent. This is a normal experience, as you know. He's all "What's this, ahhh.. Marrrria Full of Gr- Grrrr- Graaah-seh?" And I'm all "Uh.. Oh! Maria Full of Grace?" And totally didn't make the connection. He just wanted to know what "grrrrah-seh" meant. Do you know how hard that is to explain?

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger