Monday, February 14, 2005

letting the penguins love on valentine's day, showering dead icons in gold and another sad loss



I think they make a beautiful couple. Keep fighting the power, brave gay penguins!

---

I didn't even know the Grammys were last night, and really, it's kind of my job to know. I missed the whole thing. I found out that the Grammys had passed when a coworker asked me who won at the Grammys. I said Ray Charles without even looking, and sure enough...

Ray Charles was an amazing performer, with a slew of well-deserved Grammys to his credit. It just seems that giving him eight more awards after his passing is less about the music and more about the record industry patting itself on the back. It doesn't cheapen Charles' career, no wack ass industry suit could do that, but it does tarnish some of his accolades. What does the award mean if it's swayed by sympathies and not actual merit?

It'd be nice to see the Grammys actually become more relevant and give kudos to artists who are innovative and--no offence, Ray--alive. Maybe then I'd watch.

---

I was sad to hear that Ossie Davis had passed away. It happened on Feb. 4th, but I didn't hear about it until just this weekend. He was a wonderful actor with an amazing speaking voice. Anyone who was respected enough to have delivered Malcolm X's eulogy and also had a good enough sense of humor to portray a man who believed he was John F. Kennedy, co-starring with Bruce Campbell in Bubba Ho-tep, is okay by me.



RIP, Ossie.

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

You could tell that the penguins were gay. They were such snazzy dressers.

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

had to comment cuz the penguin picture is just too cute. look at 'em!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger