Friday, February 25, 2005

east side

I just had a good long talk with myself in the mirror. I look like shit, but I think that's the alcohol talking. I'm not sure what the conversation was about, but I tried my best not to listen; I can go on and on.

I was fortunate enough to catch a couple of really good rappers from New Jersey today. I'm not much for hip-hop, though I understand why it's so popular right now, but I'm still a sucker for some wimpy dude taking out his frustration on a guitar. That's not my fault. Blame Kurt.


Kurt Cobain, hip-hop icon
The headlining act was particularly good--well, I thought so anyway. I'm not a really good judge of hip-hop music, but I really liked his presense and delivery, and even though the turn out was shitty, he still got everyone who actually showed up really hyped. It's kind of funny how the underground rap movement seems so much like the post-punk / grunge / indie / whatever-the-word-for-it rock movements in the mid- to late '80s. Rock music at that time was all big hair, tricked out groupies, Italian sports cars and snorting lines of coke off of plastic tits. It's good work if you can get it, I suppose, and I'm not even trying to front. The first album I ever bought with my own money was Def Leppard's Hysteria. I had been into more serious metal acts like Metallica and Iron Maiden before that, but my cousin convinced me that they were Satan worshipers, and at that young age, I was afraid I'd go to Hell for listening to such things. I'm still afraid, but at least all my favorite bands will be there.

Unfortunately, all the really exciting stuff to come out of the mid- to late '80s passed me by. I was far too young to be into underground music. I was barely old enough to be into music at all, in any serious capacity. All I really had was the radio and whatever my cousins would listen to when they'd drive me around. In my pre to early teen years, I'd gotten into the hair bands, because that was what was popular. That's what my friends listened to, and even that seemed fringe compared to the Color Me Badds and New Kids on the Blocks of the world. We listened to rock, man, or what we thought was rock, anyway.

I didn't catch wind to the Mudhoneys, Sonic Youths and Nirvanas of the world until they had the spotlight thrown upon them. The first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit," I didn't get it. I didn't understand what the fuss was about. He couldn't even sing. Then one night, sitting in my backyard with my friends and a little battery-powered radio, I heard "Lithium," and as cliche as it sounds, it changed my life. I wouldn't be in the job I'm in now if it wasn't for that song, at that moment. I guess it was the best and worst thing to ever happen to me.

The hair bands were slain by three power chords, and for at least a few years, even corporate rock music seemed like it meant something. The same thing seems to be happening with hip-hop. On the radio, there's nothing but people shouting about the bitches they fuck or the Escalades they drive or how much money they have. It's like hair metal all over again. But the few underground hip-hop shows I have been to and few CDs I own seem to have an energy that I can only imagine must be similar to the shitty little rock clubs of the late '80s. I've even heard lyrics that drop Cobain's name in a verse. It's exciting to see something like that, when you can feel that it's heading somewhere. I just wish it made more sense to me.

3 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Ok.. Where to start?

East coast! WOO!

Nirvana! WOOOOOO!

I was fortunate enough to have some inside connections back in the day, yo. Ok, it was just a girlfriend who knew a dj on the west coast, in Washington. She got a tape from him. He said it was the next big thing. She, of course, came to me with it. It was Nirvana. I fell in love instantly. I nearly clubbed the friend to death so I could run off with the tape, but she was too wily. Damn.

I tend to prefer more trip hop-y music to your basic hip hop. That doesn't mean I can't get into it. I can and do. It just has to have that certain je ne sais quoi about it. But I'm that way with all music.

I hope something comes out of this. We need something to shake up the music scene. It's become too..eh.

Bookfraud said...

feeling like one missed out on a music scene...i am like so there. i was too young to get into the ramones when the first came out, ignored Elvis Costello when he debuted, didn't like AC/DC (at first) because that's who all the stoners in h.s. listed to, and initially dismissed nirvana 'cause i was already 30 and thought i'd heard it all before. was i ever wrong.

now i listen to the rock and roll but also music written by dead white europeans or played by dead black saxophonists or trumpeters. or sang by really boring dead white people or cool dead black people. this from a guy who once thought classical sucked and jazz was for pussies. go figure.

Michelle said...

Have to agree with BF on this one, although i grew up with AC/DC on my doorstep and have always loved them. I'm not much of a hip hop fan but i do admire them.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger