Sunday, February 06, 2005

i'm super, thanks for asking

I didn't really care who won the game, but I'm glad this year's Super Bowl was a good one. I figured the Patriots would take it, but I thought they'd win by a larger margin. I have to say, though I'm a die-hard New York Giants fan, I was kind of pulling for the Eagles, even though I hate them very, very much. I'm a Syracuse fan in college football, and I remember watching Donovan McNabb play QB there, so for his sake, I was kinda hoping the Eagles would pull it out. I think that they would have too if it wasn't for the shitty clock management at the end of the game. I don't know if it was McNabb's fault or the coaches', but someone fucked up big-time there, which was easy for me to say sitting in my rocking chair with a bottle of Miller High Life.

The other side of the coin, the commercials, were neither spectacularly good nor bad, but there were a couple of stand-outs. There seemed to be a theme this year; I noticed a couple of the commercials kinda poked fun at commercials and the elements needed for a successful one. Most notably, there was a hillarious FedEx Kinko's ad that ran through the 10 things that make for a memorable commercial including talking animals, kicks to the groin, attractive women and celebrities. I think it was my favorite, but my pervert side gave two big thumbs up to the commercial for Godaddy.com, a cheap dot-com domain registry service, that pushed executives buttons (apparently, the spot was supposed to be run twice, but Fox execs put the kablooey on it after it ran during the first quarter). It was clearly gratuitous, but kinda made a statement by doing so, I thought. But beyond that, it featured an impossibly buxom brunette shaking her ample goodies, and who doesn't want to see that? You know you do.

The Emerald Nuts commercial with the unicorn was pretty dope, too.

The commercials have become such a part of the entertainment of the game, that I don't mind that they're just trying to get me to spend money on stuff. It kinda irks me that last night's local news had four stories about how expensive Super Bowl commercial time is, like I didn't realize that already. I just wish Budweiser would resurrect the Bud Bowl, already.



What are they waiting for? Bottles with lil helmets? Playing football? C'mon! Genius!

2 comments:

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I'm the kind of person that wonders if it weren't for the early McNabb endzone interception, they could've kicked a field goal there and the game would've been tied come the end of regulation.

But that never matters. Futile thinking.

I was pulling for the Eagles, too, simply on the underdog rule. I rooted for the Patriots against the Rams a few years ago. I just want the unlikely winner.

Erratic Prophet said...

I totally didn't watch the Super Bowl. My father and son were all He-Man "grrawrg!" about it for the first 5 minutes, then my father went to his computer and my son changed it to cartoon network.

I mocked them for this, so they changed it back. For about five minutes. So we saw a whole 10 minutes of it!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger