Sunday, February 13, 2005

don't be afraid to try new things, unless they're icky

I went a local Japanese restaurant for dinner with my ex-roommate. We're both novices at the Japanese food thing, which is what I like about it. It's all so new and exciting. We were looking over the menu, and I'd been there a few more times than she was, so I was pointing out somethings that I'd tried before. We found a type of sushi called uni, which is made of sea urchin. I pointed it out to her on the menu.

"I wonder what urchin tastes like?" I asked sort of rhetorically.

"Ooh! Isn't that the stuff that can kill you?" she shot back, looking a bit too excited by the prospect. I'm not sure if it can kill you, but it certainly added an extra danger to the dish--whether it was real or imagined.

"I don't know," I answered. "But we have to try it."



The waitress came over and we started ordering; we got one of the house special rolls, hirame (halibut), unagi (fresh water eel) maguro sashimi and asked for an order of uni. The waitress said, "Hold on a second," and then called into the kitchen. She then reported back from the chef that they were all out of sea urchin. We were visably disappointed.

"Have you ever had urchin before?" the waitress asked.

We said no, but we were curious, so we wanted to try it. The waitress said, "It feels like tongue. I ate it once on a dare."

We weren't so disappointed after that. Though after drinking the liter-sized bottle of Asahi, I'm sure I could've handled that urchin no problem.

4 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

It's a meal that you make out with!

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I think the one that can kill you if not cut and cooked to exacting perfection is the cuttlefish.

Michelle said...

Actually, its the "puffer fish"...its sells for a ridiculous price per pound i'm talking hundereds of dollars.
Perhaps cuttlefish can kill you i'm not up to speed on them, but the Japs ship in the puffer fish from here in Oz :)

btw, j...your a bit of a thrill seeker!!

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

i'm a bit of a dumbass is what i am.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger