Friday, April 15, 2005

the world: in shimmering letter box



I finally got my new glasses today. One of my coworkers gave me a ride to the office--she's still waiting for her contacts--and the doctor was sitting behind the front desk. For some reason, he reminds me of Nick Nolte from 48 Hours, thankfully not the newer drunker scarier Nick Nolte. He asked me to give him a minute and he scurried off to the back, and a nondescript terrier showed up to take his place.

The terrier was a scruffy little floppy dog with a whisker-y face and a freshly shorn body. It would have been one of those mop looking dogs if it wasn't for his snazzy new hair-did.

I proceeded to start a one-sided discussion with the terrier, because I'm one of those crazy people who chats it up with other people's dogs, while giving him ear scratches. I couldn't tell if he was perturbed with my doting, so I stopped, which caused the terrier to scoot closer.

My glasses fit with little adjusting. They're comfortable, sleek and kinda on the sexy side, and I love them; especially because I can see very well with them. The prescription is crazy different, so it took some getting used to, but now I'm pretty used to them. Everything is in carved in crisp, bold outlines and I find myself staring at walls and examining the texture and detail. I forgot the world could be this vivid.

For years, I had round-shaped frames, so I decided to go with rectangular ones this time around. they're much smaller than my last pair of glasses, which I like, but my field of clear vision is now wildly different, like a movie in letterbox format, but the black bars are replaced by soupy blurs, separated from my crisp vision by a shimmering rectangle, caused by the light passing over the edges of my lenses.

---

My studious roommate came in around 10pm looking for parts to his motorcycle that still haven't arrived.

"You want to take shots?"

Did I?

Crappy pasta sauce I slapped together with bits of barbecued hamburger for he, his girlfriend and I; Regina Spektor after shot four; rocking out on drums and guitar after shot six--good stuff.

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

You owe me a drunken pic of you in new glasses. It's the least you could do.

Michelle said...

Holy crap, if the script is different by heaps wtf have you been seeing??!!
LOL...now you can see the real beauty in my profile pic!!!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger