Wednesday, April 06, 2005

heaven knows, i'm miserable now

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Since he inadvertantly wrote a song about my life, I decided to check out Morrissey's new DVD, Who Put the "M" in Manchester?, hoping that it would lighten my mood. Morrissey's not known for his feel good anthems, but his songs are so damn infatuated with being completely miserable that they're actually kinda happy.

Concert videos are usually hit or miss for me, but I like to have them around, because I don't really have to watch them; I treat them like CDs that have bonus visuals if that I can choose to pay attention to or ignore. The good ones are really engaging, though. Last year, I really liked U2's Live at Sloane Castle. I'm not a big fan of the band, but the sound and camera work were excellent and the energy of the performance and the crowd was overwhelming. I mean, it's U2 in Ireland... The other concert video I really liked was Shakira Live in Rotterdam, because she really knows how to put on a show, and her hip-shaking does funny things to me. She's so slithery...like.

Anyway, Morrissey's concert DVD was a good watch. Morrissey's a pretty jumpy performer; he was always moving around and gesturing and flouncing about, and he sweated through four button-down shirts that he tossed out into the crowd, inciting a riot each time. Morrissey rocked pretty hard. I like a couple of his new songs a lot ("Irish Blood, English Heart"), but when he did "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out," shit got crazy.

I was taken back most by Morrissey's fans, who rival Slayer fans as the craziest fuckers on the planet. People flashed their Moz tattoos and even Moz lyrics tattoos and saying shit like "Morrissey saved my life." He also has more male groupies than any performer in music today. Dudes were literally throwing themselves at the stage, over a barricade and about 20 guards in yellow shirts just to get close to Morrissey. He played it up too; he'd walk to the lip of the stage and kneel down and reach out to them, sometimes clasping their hands, before the burly guards would carry the fan away, still singing along.

I guess there's something theraputic about howling along to words like "if a double decker bus, crashes into us...to die by your side, is a heavenly way to diiiiie" and watching grown men squeal like piglets in the presence of a pale blue dude with a pompador.

But like an idiot, I watched the special features, including something entitled "Meet Your Meat," which is some PETA video that shows how mistreated the pig that becomes your bacon is. It's not like this was news to me or anything. But I am super-carniverous and also highly impressionable. So now I'm checking out GoVeg.com and thinking of microwaving some hotdogs.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

His songs are oddly cheery yet morbidly depressing at the same time. I love him.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger