Thursday, April 21, 2005

aware of drugs and alcohol

The day started off at 8:05am, but it was really 7:55 because I set my clock 10 minutes ahead. It ended a minute thereafter when I shut off my alarm and went back to sleep.

It rang again 15 minutes later to herald Wednesday 1.01; this updated version was much more spry and lively, but just as proficient at darting across the room, turning off the alarm and falling back into bed in one fluid motion. I stared at the ceiling and reminded myself that there was no need to worry. I still had almost an hour before I had to leave.

An hour later, I shot out of bed with a start. It was Wednesday 1.02. We had finally worked out the kinks and the beta period was over. I poked my head out of the side sliding door while buttoning up my shirt to see my coworker in his car waiting. He was on his cell phone. If mine was on, I'm sure it would have been ringing.

Wednesday 1.02 was a pretty eventful day. I hung out at a monastery with a group of elderly women, had a meeting over pizza and later found myself in a miniature golf team tournament to benefit an drug and alcohol awareness program. At one hole, one of the people hosting the event handed players a pair of "beer goggles," which were supposed to simulate how being sloshed to the gills affected your vision and equilibrium. They were extremely disorienting; however, as I walked up to the tee, with some concentration, I was fine and struck my golf ball true, barely missing a hole in one.

"It's just like walking home," I said.

The rest of the mini-golfing was an exercise in frustration. This was the most treacherous mini-golf course I'd ever seen, full of hills, water hazards, rocks and other manmade perils. All that coupled with my ineptitude made for a frustrating, but laughable, good time. Afterwards, we hit up the batting cages and I swung that aggression right out.

Following the drug and alcohol awareness event, I attended a 4/20 party, because it was 4/20 maaan, so we've got to get stoned. Unfortunately, I don't get stoned anymore, and I'm starting to wonder if there's anything more boring than hanging out with people who are baked out of their minds on pot brownies and cookies when all I've had is a couple of beers.

They watched Up in Smoke in dazzled silence, laughing at the most unlikely moments.

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Hee! I love irony. I really do. You obviously do too.

You have to make your own fun when in a room with the totally baked. There's this one trick I like to show them, it amazes them and amuses me. I tell them that I can make a crumpled napkin look like it's coming right at them all 3-D style. Then I throw the crumpled napkin at them and they spend the rest of the night asking me how I did that.

Michelle said...

LOL @ R! The totally baked don't take much to freak out....the thing is i find them frustrating as hell. Even after a few drinks, they still get on my nerves and i just get more vocal and frustrated!
Sounds as though your day was great fun though :o)

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger