Saturday, April 02, 2005

pope2k5

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I had a weird morning. I really didn't want to leave bed, so I watched the rest of a movie that I'd started and kept falling asleep during. It wasn't a bad movie, I'm just never able to stay awake anymore; one minute I'm enjoying a DVD, and the next it's daylight and the interactive menu is cycling through for the umpteenth time. Finally, I got through it, and found it more or less enjoyable, if for nothing else lead starlet Ye-Jin Son, who's all sorts of girl-next-door-if-I-lived-in-Seoul fine.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I turned on my cell phone and plugged it into the wall to charge it up just in time for it to blare the theme song of Magnum PI (I know, but it's kinda funny, and it's better than "Carry on My Wayward Son," by Kansas). It was my sister; she, her boyfriend and our father were at the NYC car show at the Jacob Javitts Convention Center. They wanted to know which car they should drive out to California for me, and I said a Scion. I like the sleek sexy look of the tC sports coupe, but what I really want is the sporty utility of the xA hatchback. I think it's really good on gas, too. Plus, I have a soft spot for anything with a name that starts with a little letter and has a capital letter as its second letter, no matter what editorial nightmares such a trendy device may inspire.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It was around that time, looking for local Scion dealerships, even though I have no hopes of affording a car, that I heard that Pope John Paul II had passed away. I didn't always agree with the man; sometimes he did some stuff I thought was good and some stuff I thought was bad, but I'm sure there will be plenty to eulogize his passing, and I'm not going to use his death as a means to criticize his actions. He's out of our hands now, so to speak. RIP, John Paul.

However, though I realize his death may be too fresh in people's minds (seeing as it happened just hours ago), but I'd like to tentatively throw my hat (of the big pointy pope-y variety) into the race for Pope2k5. I'm not going to lie. My qualifications aren't great. I don't remember the last time I've been to church, but it may have been for a wedding, and God loves those. I am, however, a raised Catholic, clearly down with Jesus and The Exorcist totally freaks me out.

Plus, I think I have other qualities that would make me a good pope. I'd make sure your Sunday masses would get out early enough so you could get home for football (we had a priest like that once. He was awesome!). I love all people regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation (well, most of the time) and especially after I've been drinking. I even love sinners, because I am one, and I believe it's important that the new pope is someone of the people. Face it, the Catholic church isn't the most popular institution (children kinda scare me, so I won't go near them, another plus)--what with all the molestation and such--and it hasn't adapted well to the changing world. I think I could help. After all, some idiot was able to convince a nation that he was just as dumb as they were, and therefore, a good candidate for president; why then, shouldn't the Catholic church come out and say "hey, we're no better than you. Here's proof. We announce Pope J, who couldn't make papal coronation because he's at a Jack in the Box eating an ULTIMATE Cheeseburger to drive off that nasty hangover."

Well, it's a thought.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

you got my vote!

Erratic Prophet said...

Admit it. You just want the Popemobile.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger