Thursday, April 14, 2005

putting the dead back in deadlines

I stayed at work long enough to listen to the rest of the Mets game on Gameday Audio; it went into extra innings, and I was happy to hear the Mets pull it out 1-0 in 11 innings. After losing their first five, they've won three in a row, which is, of course, typical Mets baseball. Now, they'll probably lose eight before winning seven and so on and so forth for the rest of the season. They'll put me in an early grave if all the red meat, stress and alcohol don't do the job first.

At 7:45, it was barely twilight. You'd figure I'd be used to Daylight Savings time by now. It's not a new concept, but every year, around this time, I always find myself saying "I can't believe the sun's still up," as if I've just discovered something terribly amiss within the delicate fabric of the universe.

I took my time getting home because I knew Lost was a rerun, and repeats are just frustrating. Instead, I caught the last couple innings of the Athletics/Blue Jays game. It was the first baseball I'd actually seen this year, and it felt really good. I was remarkably relaxed and satisfied. So much so, after Alias ("I work for...Sloane..."), I was able to get right to work on a handful of CD reviews that were past due for a magazine I freelance for sometimes.

I'm pretty spacey when it comes to getting any writing done, but I'm focused as long as I have a deadline. I had mistaken the date these particular CD reviews were due--I thought it was later in the week--but when I went through my inbox at work, I realized that today was the deadline (being yesterday at this point). I hate being flakey, so I got right to it; they were short, so it wasn't a gargantuan task, but they're done and they're all under word count. Like a pro, god dammit. Like a fucking pro. With any luck, they'll get used, but even if they don't, I was happy to bang the reviews out in a readable fashion, I even almost kinda liked one of them a little.

4 comments:

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Ishii and Clemens were both great yesterday. I wish I had the Extra Innings package, but between the Cubs, White Sox, Braves on TBS, and ESPN Sunday night, I get enough.

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

seriously. i hate the rocket, but he was definitely on yesterday, though i think both pitchers kind of benefited from the umps morphing strike zone. i'm definitely glad it's baseball season.

Michelle said...

God, we must be miles behind you in LOST. Saeed, the Iraqi has just found Danielle. And, hurly has just built the golf course!

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

you're not even scratching the surface yet, michelle...i'll do my best not to post any spoilers.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger