Thursday, October 28, 2004

still lost

This is becoming an obsession. I mean, really--can this show get any more addictive. We've been on this island for five fucking weeks (or eight days plus in show time), and I have less of an idea what's going on now than I did when this whole business started. All I know is that Yunjin Kim gets dreamier every week. Kate's got some catching up to do--but not much.

Save Kate, I still don't know any of the characters' names. Honestly, I don't even know why I remember Kate. The names aren't important. This week's Lost was on some other level of what-the-fuck. It all starts with a close up Yunjin Kim's eye. Her character Dreamy Asian Woman (DAW) is smelling flowers. Flashback! We're in Korea, we assume, and DAW is speaking with her friends and wearing a stunning backless dress. She gets champagne. It's served to her by the man who's now her husband, Angry Asian Dude (AAD).

Ok, so we get a brief glimpse into their relationship. At one time, it was very romantic, and not the scarily possessive drama-fest that it has become. Meanwhile, another journey into the dangerous woods is being conducted, and of course, Kate, the Twin Peaks Guy (TPG) and Dr. Party of Five (Dr. PoF) have to go. Because they need a fourth, Hobbit Heroin Addict (HHA) tags along. They end up finding this cave where there's a ton of fresh water, a hive of killer bees, plane wreckage and two dead bodies. Shit's fucked up.

...But not as fucked up back at the beach where AAD has decided that Guy with the Kid (Gw/K) needs a beat down. AAD nearly drowns Gw/K and causes a big fuss in the process. Iraqi Soldier Guy (ISG) once again proves that he's not someone to fuck with and slaps AAD in some handcuffs and lets him think about what a prick he's being for a while. Order is restored, but we still don't know why AAD went all ballistic other than he's always fucking angry.

Dr. PoF decides that it's a pain in the ass lugging a scant bit of water back the beach, that it's probably useless waiting for a rescue and that they should bring the people to the water instead of vice versa. He comes to this decision by ignoring the staggering hotness of Kate. Lost's viewership mutters a collective "Moron." HHA and TPG stay back at the cave with the water, and again, we collectively mutter.

Meanwhile, DAW is having all sorts of flashbacks as she dutifully tends to her bound husband. It turns out that DAW had longer hair back in the day and she wanted to elope with AAD well before he was angry. But AAD is an honorable chap and he wont' have it. DAW, being from a rich family, says it's the only way they can be together. AAD is still not having it, so he goes to DAW's daddy to ask for her hand in marriage. It turns out that DAW's dad will grant permission for the marriage, but AAD has to work for DAW's poppa for some time. DAW is apprehensive, but seemingly happy that she can have her songpyon and eat it too. Other flashbacks show the couple's relationship going from warm and loving to cold and heartless...

...And then one day, AAD comes home from work covered in blood. Woah! DAW asks AAD what happened. He won't say. She asks what he does for her father. He answers, "Whatever he tells me to." Oh snap!

Gw/K is all butt hurt that AAD whooped his ass in front of his son. ISG is still trying to figure out what's up. Gw/K swears that he doesn't know why AAD went crazy and pleads innocense. DAW seems to know what the deal is, but is flustered about what to do about it.

Back in the cave, TPG and HHA are becoming best friends. TPG knows all about HHA rock'n'roll previous life before the island, and also his rock'n'roll drug habit. TPG gets all Dungeon Master on HHA, telling him that the island will return his guitar, like that's supposed to make any sense, and HHA is doing his darndest to get away from the old crack pot so he can get his fix on whatever heroin remains.

On the beach, shit still sucks. AAD is still tied up and Gw/K is even more butt hurt. Gw/K wanders off into the jungle to chop some wood and take out some aggression, and DAW dreamily follows--being all sneaky and dreamy. Gw/K sees her and lashes out, then DAW totally speaks English. Fucking wheelchair, dude.

Turns out, DAW learned English, unbeknownst to AAD, because she was going to make it look like she got kidnapped so she could escape her father and AAD, but when AAD shows her a pretty flower right before the time she was supposed to escape, she begins to sob dreamily and goes back to his side. And for her loyalty, she's rewarded by getting stranded on this fucked up island. There's a moral in that somewhere.

Bringing the episode to a close, Dr. PoF tries to convince people that waiting on the beach is shite, and they all have to move to the cave, even though it's further inland and no planes or ships will ever find them there. People aren't sure about this, especially ISG, who says he's not giving up on being rescued. Kate is still torn. To aid her decision, she sits on the beach and gets all emo, staring out at the ocean. Rebel Dude comes over and talks some shit about how she's being all flirty with Dr. PoF and ISG. Rebel Dude is totally useless.

As the episode draws to a close, Dr. PoF leads a group of people to the cave, but Kate's not one of them. She's not giving up. She's not digging in. She's gonna wait it out on the beach with Rebel Dude, ISG and some other folks...probably nameless extras. Clearly, she misses Dr. PoF, and he misses her two, but they both say "You know where to find me."

Wonder if they'll ever see each other again.

...And HHA had to give up his drugs to TPG to get his guitar back. Almost forgot.

---

After Lost, I ended up going to a hip-hop concert at a bar. I thought I'd only be there for a little while, but the performer I wanted to see didn't go on till a quarter to one. So much for getting home early. I had enough drinks to get me buzzed and make me have to pee a lot, but not enough to be able to deal with drunk people.

3 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Woo! It's a good thing I read those spoilers in TV Guide while waiting in line at the supermarket! They were all shown this week. I swear DAW (or, as I like to call her, LAW-- Lovely Asian Woman) and Gw/K are so gonna hook up. But they have to get rid of AAD first! So they need to set up a trap, so The Thing will eat him or some shit. And they need to show The Thing! And I want to shoot Rw/oC (Rebel without Clue) in the chest and watch him suffer-- like that bounty hunter dude-- 'cause, damn, he annoys the hell out of me.

I saw the airport part. With the flower and her crying. And I guessed she was going to leave him but changed her mind and I was all "Wait! What did I miss?! Nooo! Leave!" but she so didn't listen to me. They never do.

Erratic Prophet said...

I wrote a long, exhaustive comment on Lost and the recap you put up, then Blogger ate it. Then I opened my big mouth about the missing comment and you whined about the missing comment and how I needed to repost it, I whined about not remembering all of what I wrote, you whined about your upcoming birthday, I whined about how you (falsely) whined about wanting me to at least pretend to forget the upcoming birthday, you whined about lying about that, I whined that I already knew you were lying, and so now I'm here and I've written one of the longest run-on sentences ever! Happy (almost) Birthday!

Erratic Prophet said...

Dude, Blogger's fucking with me.. You saw that my comment wasn't there! Now it is!

So creepy.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger