Wednesday, October 27, 2004

look. it's raining. isn't that precious?

Over the past few days, my climatologically challenged area of California has been doing its best to try to have some actual weather. The usual, drab drizzle we usually get has suddenly been replaced by torrential downpours, crazy ass winds, wild drops and climbs in temperature. You know, weather.

When I first moved here, people told me that there's seasons in this part of California, and that they do get some pretty nasty storms. I've lived here for three years, and I suppose I've seen maybe one or two--but I'm using nasty in context of the 200-plus weatherless days that take up the rest of the year. My first winter here brought a sad little snow shower, on my way to work at a previous job, I pedaled my bike as fast as I could to avoid what turned into a violent thunderstorm (hail and all), and again on my bike, through horizontal rain, I nearly crashed into a fallen tree that I was unable to see given the conditions. To be sure, two of those three were pretty severe, but neither stack up in comparison to the ice storms, severe thunderstorms, blizzards, crippling summer humidity or Nor'Easters of my homeland. More than rare occurences, these things were just ways of life. Sometimes, you even had to plan around them. Imagine that.

Now, I have to hand it to California. I've been here for over three years, and now I think this wonderful country has realized that I'm not just a resident in name only. I'm here now, and I think it will be for some time longer. Accordingly, California has finally decided it time to make me feel more at home. Fresh off last night's rain debacle, I found myself at work--at a new computer now, because I think my regular one has the virtual clap; far away from my desk, my chair and my piles of CDs--and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash.

Lightning! I thought.

Then reality set in. Ho ho, thought I. Why there hasn't been lightning in these parts since Mary Sue ran off with Billy Joe and moved themselves to Hollywood.

Ahem...

Time went by and nothing. I was definitely seeing things. Later, I saw it again, but this time there was no mistaking. Weather was happening--lightning, thunder, sheets of rain! I was flabbergasted. I thought it was the cutest thing ever. This wasn't the most menacing lightning storm I'd seen, but it sure lasted for a while. Long enough that it was still tearing it up when it came time to leave work. My roommate/coworker and I locked up the office, stepped outside and that's when I noticed the hail; instantaneously the novelty wore off.

---

I watched the rest of the first season of Arrested Development finally, and I'm glad I don't have long to wait until the next one starts up. The season finale nearly killed me--especially GOB's "big bear" scene toward the end. Brilliant! I loved that you could see David Cross doing his best not to crack up. I usually steer away from taking advantage of a DVD's commentary function, but I ended up re-watching the final episode with the play by play from all the actors and it was just as funny the second time around, if not more so. Great cast with great chemistry. It's good to see that the cast seems to be intact for season two, and also that some of the smaller characters like Annyong will be back. I just hope it doesn't disappoint.

More hilarity ensued when I finally caught the "Charlie Murphy / Prince" sketch fromChappelle's Show. It's the lesser known cousin to the "Rick James" bit, but just as funny. Oh, and The Daily Show was pretty damn good too.

---

Unfortunately, I read that John Peel had passed away on Monday. I never did get a chance to hear his program, but I certainly knew his name, and I know all the great things he's done for popular music. I wish there were more people like him on radio. He just seemed to know talent, and I must say, I'm as jealous as I am appreciative. The BBC put up a few interesting articles about him that are all worth checking out.

Legendary radio DJ John Peel dies
Peel's huge impact on music
Obituary

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger