Sunday, October 17, 2004

it's the little things

I went into work on Thursday at 9am, and I didn't leave till Friday at 1:45am. I think that's the longest day I've ever worked. Of course, I had to go in at 9am the next day also.

I've been meaning to write about all the shit that's been going on, but I was too tired, and frankly, I was sick at looking at the computer screen.

Part of my job the last couple of weeks was getting in touch with candidates for a local election, and try to ask them questions for profiles. This was a truly taxing manner. In the first place, I don't like politics, nor do I like politicians, all that much. I don't like paying people to make decisions about what I should or should not have access to, what I can't or can't do, and things of that nature. Nine times out of ten, anyone who's trying to get you to vote on something is doing it for shady reasons, i.e., their own interests. I boycotted voting after the last US presidential election, because it seemed like a scam to me; for a while, it seemed that participating in something I thought was a lie was just validating it. I guess in my own private way, I actually protested something...if you want to get all dramatic about it. I will vote this coming November, but I can't say I'm entirely convinced that I can "make a difference."

Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox.

I called up candidates, because that's what I was paid to do. I had a list of questions that I would ask all of them--pretty standard really. Some of them were pretty nice, some of them I agreed with, and some of them were total pricks, and I mean that in the most offensive way possible. But I did my job. One of the pricks I'd mentioned deemed it unnecessary to speak to me. He actually called me on my cell phone at 8 in the morning to tell me that he was so busy and that, for my alleged political affiliations (probably not so alleged, really) and that I would not get his answers on time for publication. This caused me some grief, because I dont' like being scolded on my cell phone, especially if said person is a dumb ass good ol' boy who wants to call me in the early (by my standards) morning.

I expressed my displeasure to my higher ups...they passed on my feelings to a local big shot, who's in our corner, I guess. The next day I got a phone call from the political jack ass who now had a decidedly different tone. Now he said he could get me the answers I required. I left him on hold for a few minutes to make him sweat...to ask if I could extend his deadline.

I guess it felt good, like I was vindicated in some small way, but really that good feeling didn't last long. I don't usually forgive or forget.

Despite all the pitfalls and long hours, I think the last few days at work were pretty exciting. It felt good to make something new, and now a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I think the mag came out pretty good too.

To forget about a nightmare week, I stayed true to my week-long assertions and got really drunk on Friday night. About as drunk as I got last Friday night, but on less alcohol because I didn't eat dinner. All I ate was well into my debauchery when my friend bought me the most infernal, spicy hot dog ever brought into being from a local hot dog cart. It hurt like hell, but I was hungry so I devoured the thing.

I quickly stumbled home after a few pints of Guinness with every intention to write about my shitty / exciting week, but upon hearing the sex happening in my roommate's bedroom, I decided to steal a beer from the fridge and slumped on to one of the patio chairs on the side deck. I never really got to open the beer; my lids got heavy. Wrapped up in my hoodie, I quickly started dozing off. With the breeze and the stars and the no sex-sounds and stuff, it just seemed like the best place to fall asleep, and I think I did for a little while. Eventually, I made it up from the patio chair and made it back inside and placed the unopened beer back in the fridge. It was still pretty cold.

Tonight, I went to a play and then hit the bars. I had a good time, but tomorrow, I'm sleeping in till whenever, I'm shutting off my cell phone, and if I get out of bed for anything, it'll only be to lay down on the couch.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger