Saturday, October 23, 2004

the grudge

Tonight I went to the theater to see The Grudge, an American remake of a Japanese horror film, and one of the scariest movies I can actually sit through. I get scared by horror movies, but I still love to watch them.

Basically, the American version of The Grudge is the same as the Japanese version except that the American one has Buffy in it instead of a host of pretty Japanese starlets. The American version also had Bill Pullman in a small, but important role. I've always liked Bill Pullman, and I think he's really overlooked as an actor. In any case, he was excellent when he was on screen. Buffy did a good job, too, but really, all the actors must play second fiddle to the excrutiating terror that pervades the film.

Tonight, the theater was absolutely packed. Those in our large group--all customers of a local video store, it was kind of a field trip / party--who did not buy tickets in advance were turned away. Literally every seat in the theater was taken. The two people who were kind enough to give me a ride to the cinema and I arrived with about five minutes to spare, and the only place where there were three seats together were down in front. We sat in the third row. I hate being that close to the screen, and I've never been able to figure out why they even bother putting seats so damn close instead of adding extra rows to the back, but whatever. The closeness to the screen, however, was made worse by the fact that now all these horrific images would be fuckin' huge and right in my face.

My pulse was really pounding. I've seen the Japanese version, so I kinda knew what to expect, but even still, the shit's fucking scary. At one point, I think, I had to leave the theater cuz I was afraid I was going to freak out. I also had to take a leak, but that's besides the point. Things got better once I started cuddling my hoody. I know I should be ashamed, but I'm not.

After the movie, chaos took over. It seemed like every loony in the world was out tonight, and all of them were fucking wasted. I went to get a slice of pizza and one guy was so drunk that he could barely stand. He stumbled past everyone, bought a slice, then stumbled back outside, banging into the front window along the way, and once he was outside, he collapsed like a sack of bricks, which looked kinda funny from inside the pizza place.

We were all supposed to rendezvous back at the video store for a night cap, but after grabbing the slice of pizza, no one was there, so I stopped at the local watering hole figuring I'd probably bump into someone. On the way home, I said hi to the guitar playing homeless guy and stopped in to 7-Eleven just in time to pick up a six pack. Outside the store, some random old dude asked me if I needed a ride (I'm pretty sure he was just looking to make a couple bucks, or rob me; not the creepy kidnapper type). I said no. He asked if he could borrow some money. I said no. He asked me if he could have a beer at least. I gave him one and told him not to drink and drive as he got into his mini van.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger