Thursday, October 21, 2004

it very well may be the end of the world

So the Red Sox beat the Yankees; 10 - 3; at Yankee Stadium; in game 7 of the ALCS; the first time in baseball history a team has come back from 3-0 series deficit to come back and win the whole thing. Even after three pints of Guinness, it still seemed pretty amazing. The sadistic part of me smiled as the Yankees piled it on, but as a long-time baseball fan, it was definitely an amazing moment--and what better way for it to happen than against the Evil Empire?

I finally got to see the clip of Jon Stewart on Crossfire. I'm sure naysayers will say that he's just trying to drum up publicity for his new book America, but at least he did so by saying shit that needed to be said. I'm sick of pundits and politicians who can only see things their way. I hope Stewart's "lecture" lit a fire under someone's ass.

Today was a day full of pleasant moments, though nothing too earth-shaking. There was a long drawn out section of fuss regarding my computer situation at work (read: shit's fucked up), and I had to miss Lost to watch the baseball game, but I'm sure I can get a recap from someone. Otherwise, things went really well. I interviewed Hook Mitchell, met a friendly dog who had to spend some time at the office, sighed and ahhed at Kate Beckinsale and her fake Eastern European accent in Van Helsing, and I even was witness to the Great Squirrel Conference of 2004.

Let me explain...just four days ago, it was still summer here in the country of California. I remember it real well. It was Saturday, it was relatively hot; suddenly, late Saturday night, it began raining, the temperature dropped some 20 degrees and shit hasn't been the same since. Now we're in Rain, officially, and the past season, Hot, will become a fast-fading memory. The sudden change in weather has caused the various nature dwelling critters to start preparing for the long haul ahead (this is all assumption on my part, put no stock in it), and the most visible critters here in town are the squirrels. They're everywhere, pretty much. I was walking to work and marveling at the sight of my breath, all wrapped up in a hoody and a beany because I just shaved my head, when I passed a house with a white picket fence. I saw a squirrel perched on the fence, like something out of a home and garden magazine, but too my surprise, there were four others all in the vicinity. I'm not sure what was going on, but the squirrels seemed to be in concert with one another.

They ignored my presence for the longest time, which is not what squirrels often do, as they all stood or squatted in that little squirrel pose, facing each other. I knew they were conversing because I heard their little bleating noises. Eventually, I got too close, and the four squirrels smoothly dashed out of my way. No big deal, just sauntered out of my path.

I was curious, so as I passed, I turned around to see if they had gotten back together. They hadn't, but I could've sworn that little bugger on the picket fence was watching me.

Maybe this is how revolutions start. Perhaps the squirrels have finally gotten their act together, and our planning how to wrest planetary dominance from our bald-palmed grasp. I guess only time will tell. I the meantime, I'm going to leave plenty of walnuts out on the porch--maybe a few almonds--just in case.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger