Monday, September 12, 2005

stirring the mouse

It only took four days of an empty house for me to lose the last remaining bits of my mind. I'm a pretty quiet person, but I like background noise--television helps, I guess, but it's not the same. I've had to make my own noise.

Friday night til this morning, my roommate's ex brought over their dog. I'm kinda third on the phone tree--his godfather, I guess. He's a very personable dog, a golden retriever, and he likes constant attention, which is fine by me. I've always gotten along really well with dogs, a lot better than I get along with people. His poppa had someone else lined up to watch him, but that person backed out at the last minute, and he had to leave town for work. I said of course I'd watch the pooch. I was looking forward to the company.

I ventured out Friday night, though in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have. I'd felt a lot better, but not better enough. I guess I still had some lingering disease, because I had a headache and a general ickiness. But, it was kind of a special occasion. I didn't go out to the bars, but I got a message from one of the dudes in my fantasy baseball league letting me know that they were having a poker night here in town, and they'd like me to come by, since I was brought into the league through a mutual friend, but had never actually met the rest of them. Four or five of the guys from the league were there and a bunch of other people I didn't really know. We played a poker tournament, and I was the first to be eliminated. I made a bonehead play, kinda on purpose, because my head was killing me, and I couldn't think straight. I'm a pretty lousy poker player anyway, so I was sure I wasn't going to win.

Poker tournaments take a long time, though, and I didn't get out of there until almost 3am. They move a lot faster on TV, I guess, because they don't show all the hands where everyone folds right off the bat. Still, it was a good time, and it was nice to meet some of the people I've been playing fantasy baseball with for the past three years or so.

Last night I went to a show. I wore earplugs, but I still couldn't get the headache to go away. I eneded up drinking more than I should have, and that didn't help matters. I didn't stay out late, though. I headed back to the house with a six pack, mostly for football today, but I had one before I fell asleep. My head was killing me, and I was all out of NyQuill.

Today, the dog got picked up around 1oam, just in time for the first game. Over the past two days, I've watched countless quarters of football, both college and professional, but the best game by far was the University of Texas v. Ohio State last night. Nothing's worse than the first week of pro football. It's like Pop Warner, but without the warm fuzzy feeling of watching kids hit the snot out of each other. I've also been watching so much baseball over the last few months that I found the pro game a bit tough to get readjusted to. There's all those rules--baseball's just throw the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball. Nice easy direct. A homerun never gets called back because of an illegal shift.

I do enjoy watching football very much, but the weather's too nice right now. When it gets dark and rainy, I'll be in more of a football mood. It has been dry and cool, in the mid-70s. I've been going for walks and taking bike rides and things of that nature. I've had all the windows open. I even had to close them because it was getting too cool in the house. This morning it was a chilly 63 in here--just the way i like it. If it wasn't so damn quiet in here, it would be totally pleasant.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

J, i hear LOST starts back next week!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger