Monday, September 19, 2005

on the couch

I'm not handling living alone very well. I don't understand why not, because I'm a pretty solitary person. I don't make phone calls. I don't invite people over. When I go out, I prefer to go out by myself. But living in an empty house drives me crazy.

I tried to break my Sunday pattern today--go out and walk around the town. I wanted to get breakfast around noon, but the place I usually go to down the street from me was already closed. It must have been closer to one than noon. So I headed to the diner downtown and positioned myself at the counter. I got the country breakfast--ham, two pancakes, two eggs (scrambled) and homefries. I drank lots of water. I was a little more hungover from last night than I thought I'd be. I think it was because I went drinking on an empty stomach, because I really didn't have that much considering, though I do remember yelling once or twice and trying to convince a few of the indie hipsters that we should all go to the frat bar because it would be, like, a sociology experiment. I couldn't convince anyone, though, so I hit the local watering hole solo and had a goodnight rum and coke at last call.

So yeah, I went out today to break my pattern. I didn't want to end up on the couch all day watching football, like I did yesterday and the weekend before. This town's good for walking around, and I had a few things that I could have done while I was out, namely spend my credit at the record store to pick up a CD and maybe a used video game, if I had enough. But while I was eating my country breakfast, I realized that I left my credit slip at home. Then I thought I'd see what was playing at the independent movie house, since it was on the way home, but my timing was off. I'd missed the matinee for the first film, and the second matinee was still an hour off. I would've hung around, but they only take cash, I think, and I'd left the waitress at the diner a $2 tip. So I walked home and planted myself on the couch to watch football. It's probably for the best. I had to scrounge up change to afford my dinner burrito.

When I get into a rut, it's really hard for me to get out of it. I'm actually almost looking forward to going to work tomorrow, so I won't have to sit in the empty house all day. Almost.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Your a social person though J, you enjoy other peoples company.
I love having "me" time with on one around, i don't get bored and am thankful i don't have to speak to anyone!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger