Tuesday, September 20, 2005

dollar fish tacos


Mmm. This town may be the middle of fucking apeshit nowhere, but, like any place, it has its great minds. One such mind is that of a local bar/restaurant owner who came up with what I imagine is called "Taco Tuesdays" in which his establishment sells fish tacos--and tiny bottles of Corona--for just a buck. Of course, this same establishment is a surfing-themed restaurant in a clearly landlocked city--our closest body of water is a creek that has no water in in this time of year, because it never rains. Genius is like lightening. You never know when and where it's going to strike.

Anyway, as you'd imagine, Taco Tuesdays is a big hit in college town. There was a line out the door and two sad and grumpy dudes were chained behind the counter churning out what had to be tons of fish tacos. The two young women working the counter were very attractive and clearly over it, though one in a skin-tight black tube top was nice enough to wrap up my remaining fish taco when she saw that I was clearly inept at such a task. I'm inept at a lot of tasks.

So, to follow up a satisfying dinner, I biked home (I've grown addicted to biking. I've been using my roommate's ancient Schwinn. It's red and beat the fuck up. It's a woman's bike frame and a bit too small for my ponderous bulk. It creaks and whines under my weight, but it rides pretty steady and smooth when the chain stays on. It's kinda like me--difficult and cranky, but it gets the job done) and the wind really started picking up tonight. It was nice and warmish cool. It was a productive day at work. I got tons of shit done and was looking forward to see what piece of shit movie I could zone out to. Luckily, I found Going Greek, which has just ended and a peppy pop-punk song played throughout the entire credits.

Going Greek posed itself as a wacky Animal House-style comedy loaded with zany hijinks and dick jokes and looked awful enough to ensure that I wouldn't have a single thought during its 90-or-so-minute span. In reality, Going Greek was a touching story of brotherhood and boy power (loaded with zany hijinks and dick jokes), and consequentally, one of the least entertaining movies I'd ever seen.

Well, it featured the Shermanator in a prominent role. That's a start. The story focused around some dude just trying to fit in and "be a part of something" so he convinces his beefy cousin to join this fraternity with him and, y'know, there's hilarity that's not very hilarious and touching moments and triumph of the human spirit and tons of dick jokes. But it did prevent the synapses in my brain from firing for a little while and Daisy, Daisy Adair was in it--from Dead Like Me--she had the only interesting bit of dialog and as it turns out, she's exactly 19 days younger than I am. Fun fact of the day.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger