Friday, September 09, 2005

hanging out with my good friend Q

I woke up this morning with every intention of going to work, but my body ached so bad, I couldn't move. More accurately, I didn't want to move. So I just laid there, wrapped in 300 thread-count Egyptian cotton--my parents got it on sale--and thought I'd just need a bit more rest. Around 10:30am, it became apparent that going to work at that time would have been a terrible idea, so I called in. I said that I'd try to come in later. Maybe around 1pm.

I got out of bed around 12:30pm, feeling kinda spry, well, sprier...I'd get some chicken soup in my gut and go into work. The house is all empty with my roommate gone, so it's kinda depressing to sit around here sick and alone.

I cooked and ate the soup. I looked at the clock. I'd been moving in super-slowmotion. The soup had certainly invigorated me some. I even got dressed, but I watched the clock go to 1:30pm, and I knew I just couldn't do it. So I called in again. Talked to my boss. He said don't worry about it. Drink water. Get rest. Try to get some work done at home. Come in tomorrow. I did all those things--but I mostly just watched a lot of movies.

I watched the nun-sploitation flick first. To set a tone. It was called School of the Holy Beast, and it was awesome. Nuns whipping themselves and each other. It even turned my stomach a couple times. Then, I shifted gears and watched Chinese Box with Jeremy Irons and Gong Li. It was about the last days of Brittish occupation in Hong Kong, and it was really good. Irons played a dude who'd learned he was going to die, and struggled with that and his unrequited love for Gong Li's character. Both are really good actors and Gong Li...sigh...the script was hit and miss sometimes, but I was in the mood for a good love story. I totally have feelings.

After that, it was The Brothers McMullin, which is just like every Ed Burns movie, but I kinda like them all, because I'm from the East Coast, grew up Catholic and hit my teenage years in the '90s. I giggled and longed for flannel.

After that, things got blurry, because I started running an incredible fever for a good five hours. I think I watched Secret Window with Johnny Depp and John Turturro. I kinda guessed the end way before it happened, but I couldn't tell you much about that movie because I was plastered to the couch and quivering in agony.

Oh wait. I watched Boogie Nights, too.

And blew my nose. I'm just glad I bought a ton of toilet paper the other day. I don't buy tissues because they're harsh on the nose. Toilet paper is much better for nose-blowing because it's made for more intimate areas.

I just took some NyQuill. I want it to kick in. Pronto. I also want a beer. And some ice cream. And to not be sick anymore. That's it.

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Dude, if you think that, you're getting the wrong kinds of tissues. Puffs, man. Puffs. The super strong kind. Don't give me any of that lotion crap.

Feel better!

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

i love puffs, but they're expensive, yo. toilet paper is just as good and much more functional.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger