Sunday, September 18, 2005

rasputin was a sorcerer, but i'm just a drunk

The hippie food store has a frightening selection of beer. Most of it is ridiculously strong--at least by American standards. Hippies know beer, and the natural food co-op is stocked with killer brews, such as Old Rasputin, a Russian imperial stout bottled by the North Coast Brewing company of Fort Bragg, CA.

I had a feeling that with Russia's mysterious sorcerer on the label, I was probably in for an interesting time. Notice how his fingers are poised in a kind of blessing fashion, as if to say, "fare thee well, impudent mortal, for you are about to embark upon a journey unlike any other found in a 11-oz. bottle. Fare thee well and may the spirits keep you safe." My feeling was correct. The first couple sips tasted somewhat like NyQuill, and once the nine percent alcohol content started to kick in, I felt as if I was possessed by some otherworldly spirit that wanted only to get me more and more intoxicated.

That was on Thursday night, I think, but Crafty Ol' Rasputin set a tone. My time at work on Friday was an exercise in futility. I'm sure I had to have done something, but nothing that required too much thought. I did go with a coworker to pick up lunch for the office. I'm sure that should count for something. When I got home, I found sweet succor on my living room couch and fell into blissful sleep until 11:30pm. It felt good to nap, even though when I awoke, I had no idea where I was or what day it was.

I bummed around motionless for a long while until I eventually made it to my room and listened to the new album by Sigur Ros. It's amazing. So amazing that it kept me awake. I had to restart it from the beginning before I went back to sleep.

Today, I spent lounging around the house like a giant slothbeast. I have some credit at a local record store, and I wanted to get out and buy the new Weezer album and/or White Stripes album, but I've put that off until tomorrow. I have enough music to listen to anyway, I guess. Instead, I watched college football until I mustered enough inspiration to get showered and head over to a backyard concert/yard sale. The bands were good. I bought a pin that has a bugged out white bunny on it and reads "have a nice day," and a lamenated list of punishments from a school, dating back to the 19th century. Playing cards at school or misbehaving to a girl got the offending student 10 lashes, which was the most you could get. It was the best dollar I'd spent in a while.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger