Thursday, March 24, 2005

like bonnie and clyde, except nothing like them at all.

There's this security guard who roams the parking lot of the place I do my banking at. He's an old dude in a black baseball cap and he's always wearing dark tinted sunglasses and a very dour expression. I don't know what his deal is, but he always regards me like I'm suspected of a crime
when I go to use the ATM. I often call a cab even though I don't have any cash on me. I tell them to drop me off at the bank, which is about a block and a half away from work, and run up to use the machine so I can pay them. For some reason, this makes the security guard ornery. He doesn't say anything to me, but I'm always expecting him to.

It happened again today. The security guard glowered at me as I made my way to the ATMs so I could pay my cabbie. When I returned to the car, the driver remarked how the security guard had been watching him. We both seemed to think that the security guard took his job a little too seriously, but then the cab driver said, "well, the bank had that robbery not too long ago."

"Yeah, but it's not like I'd take a cab to rob a bank," I answered.

"Why not?" the driver shot back.

I was a bit surprised, because I didn't know why a bank robber wouldn't take a cab to rob a bank. I was also surprised at the tone in the driver's voice. He seemed a little offended, and also as if he'd given this a lot of thought.

"I'd probably steal a car or something," I said.

"You wouldn't want to have a car running and waiting for you when you got out of the bank?" the driver asked. "You don't think a cabbie would keep his mouth shut if you gave him a big enough cut?"

I never thought of that before--mostly because I've never really thought about robbing a bank. I suppose it's not the best of jobs, at least not the best paying, and talk about scoring a big fare. You could even lie and say you were held at gun point or something. Who'd fault the cabbie for that?

"Well, if I ever plan on robbing a bank, I'll make sure I give you a call," I said.

"That'll be five bucks," said the cabbie.

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Where do you find these cabbies?

Michelle said...

LMFAO! It's the beadie little eyes!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger