Sunday, January 08, 2006

aught five gone bye bye

I'm back in California and mired in post holiday depression. I have no hopes or aspirations for the new year except I'm looking forward to the rest of the second season of Lost, and I may try to get laid sometime. If I get around to it. My sister got a spanking new Mac Mini for Christmas, so she gave me her old PC, meaning I actually have my own computer again, and I'm totally using it right now. I hope this means I will be going out less. Looking back, 2005 wasn't entirely awful. Things happened, and not all of them sucked. I drank and rocked out and got older. This year I'll turn 30, and though I know 30 is the new 20, I'm still not looking forward to it. I'm feeling really worn out. Anyway, here are the albums I thought were swell from last year--a lot of good music in the '05:

1. ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart: I got this one in Nov. of 2004 on a really early advance, and I loved it then, but it didn't come out til Jan. '05. It's passionate and violent and subversive and though I think it could be called overwraught, it's heart is everything that's good about rock music. A masterpiece.

2. M.I.A. - Arular: This one seems to be on a lot of lists because everyone is putting it on their list, but fuck it. It's probably the best album of the year. "M.I.A got the beats that make you bang."

3. Giant Drag - Hearts and Unicorns: Familiar, fun, addictive, perfect. "My Dick Sux" makes me wail and sob like a sea creature while pumping my fist in pure rock glory. No one seems to know this album exists but people who write about music for a living. I guess we're the lucky ones. Annie Hardy, will you marry me?

4. Gorillaz - Demon Days: Who knew cartoon characters could be so haunting? It's really bleak, but still a lot of fun. "Feel Good, Inc." is probably the only real single on the album, though I know they released others, and even that one's kinda dreary.

5. Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures: Even better than their first. If this keeps up, they're going to become my favorite band. I can't wait to see them live again.

6. Sigur Ros - Takk...: This album makes me want to climb a glacier, raise my arms and shout triumphantly up to the sky, then ride that glacier across the arctic and feel the cold air whip tears of joy from my eyes. Or something like that. I don't know what the fuck they're yammering about, but whatever it is, I feel you man. I feel you.

Honorable mentions: Cat Power - The Greatest (I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it that much yet, but it's a nice turn around. Chan's not so mopey this time around and puts together some really good soul songs); Rasputina - A Radical Recital (It's a live album, but it kicks total ass, I couldn't stop listening to it); Silversun Pickups - Pikul (Just an EP, but if it's any indication, the full-length that's coming out this year's gonna kick serious ass).

Here are my five favorite songs from last year, in ascending order:

5. Giant Drag "My Dick Sux": Wailing and sobbing, I tell you. The opening riff is the sweetest thing I've heard in years.

4. Fall Out Boy "Sugar (We're Going Down)": Fluffy emo pop goodness. Even though I hear it every five minutes, I still kinda rock out to it. Damn you, Fall Out Boy.

3. The Killers "Mr. Brightside": "Jealousy, turning saints into the sea!!! Swimming through sick lullabies!!! Choking on your alibis!!! But it's just the price I pay!!! Destiny is calling me!!! Open up my eager eyes!!! 'Cause I'm Mr Brightside!!! ...you should hear me sing that, or some semblance of it, in the shower.

2. Shakira "La Tortura": My palms are getting a little sweaty just thinking about it... I'd say it's got nothing to do with Shakira covered in grease paint, writhing around like a serpent in the video, but I'd be totally lying. And I love just about any song with the word "Corazon" in it.

1. Kelly Clarkson "Since U Been Gone": So I'm not a 16 year old girl. I don't care. The first time I heard this on the radio, I thought it was Avril Lavigne. When I discovered it was actually a Kelly Clarkson song, for whatever reason, I liked it even more. I guess this one was a guilty pleasure for a lot of music snobs, but I feel no guilt for liking this song. Not one shred of shame or embarassment. It fucking rocks. Okay? It pops like the finale of a fireworks show over the radio. I love it when Kelly screams "again and again and AGAAAAAAIN" and then everything stops for a beat and then that one crunchy guitar comes in by itself for a measure or two. Fucking epic. YEAAAAH YEAHHH!!! Slay it, Kelly.


2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

I often find myself shouting along with Mr. Brightside on my way home from work. It's almost always on the radio then. And La Tortura rocks. No one's rib cage should be able to move like that.

Takk... makes me feel like I'm in a feminine hygiene commercial and running through a field wearing a gauzy, floaty dress and makes it all a good thing.

And I totally love O Green World on Demon Days. That is some awesomeness right there.

I could totally write my own post here just commenting on this one.

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

you're probably right about the ribcage thing, but damn, i'm glad there is a ribcage out there that can.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger