Tuesday, January 10, 2006

sadness makes me happy

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is number two, I think, on my list of all time favorite albums, but it's not a very distant second. In Utero's number one, with Incesticide as a close third. (Weezer's Pinkerton and Sonic Youth's Dirty round out the top five, but there are a couple like Murray Street, Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea I know it's cliche to list things in such a manner, but I remember when I was a teenager, I used to make lists of my 40 or 50 favorite songs. I guess I always knew I kinda wanted to do what I'm doing. And I swear I've been doing the list thing before I saw High Fidelity, which is one of my favorite movies, though I'm not sure what rank I'd give it.

Like all my favorite CDs, I lose them constantly. I listen to them a lot and in a lot of different places. They get left in cars, forgotten in CD changers, placed in other cases and so on. Mellon Collie has been out of my possession for a few years now, which really has been far too long. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere at stores, until yesterday when, armed with a $30 gift certificate, I entered a local record store and found it used for $14.99...with the two booklets and everything. I was pleased. As I went to sleep, I popped disc one in my CD player and realized it was one of the first times I'd actually listened to a larger portion of it not under the influence of marijuana. It's still really good, though, and it brings back a lot of memories. I'm glad I got it back.

4 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

You are so The Emo.

I don't know, I think I prefer Bleach to In Utero. Don't get me wrong, I played In Utero constantly throughout the '90s and on, but I like the rougher edge that Bleach has.

I have such a hard time compiling a top albums list. It's easier for me to do songs.

Michelle said...

J do you own an MP3? If not why not?

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

i'm poor, michelle. poor!

now that you mention it, i should have noted Bleach in the entry. over the years, i've started to like it more and more. it has all the rough edges of In Utero, but without the bitterness and boredom. I'm kinda partial to bitterness and boredom though, hence my love affair with smashing pumpkins.

Michelle said...

Well this sucks. I'd send you one over but i know from experience our connections (wires...plugs etc ) are different.
Leave it with me because if anyone deserves one....it's YOU!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger