Sunday, January 29, 2006

the great thing about dogs is that they don't realize what a loser you are

Today's been good and disconcerting at the same time. That's pretty much the story of my life. I think I had some kind of work-related nightmare last night; either that or it was related to how much money I don't have.

For some reason, I've been feeling the need to be more "active." I made up my mind to get out and "do things." I came to the realization that though it seems really far, the park is really close by (about as close as my job is) and that I had no excuse not to walk to the park on a regular basis other than being a lazy fat ass. Seeing as I have the dog again this weekend, I figured this was the perfect time to institute my "more active" plan and take a walk to the park. Perfect of course, except for the fact that today was the windiest, nastiest, chilliest day of the year. (In case you weren't paying attention, there's that whole good and disconcerting thing in action.)

So this morning, I woke up out of that nightmare thing, and I realized that I never heard my alarm, which I set this morning (even though it's fucking Saturday) so I could get up early and take Dog to the park and then take him, with me, to work. On a fucking Saturday. However, when I put on my glasses so I could check what time it was, my clock read 4:06pm. It was a total WTF. And I was initially pissed at myself, but then I realized there's no way I could have slept 13 or so hours without waking up once. I turned on my TV to check the cable time and, luckily, it said it was only 10:30am. I thought that perhaps in my daze the night before, I'd accidentally set the time instead of the alarm. But really what happened was, we had a power outage.

I took my time getting up and then me and Dog head for the park around noon. It was windy, cold and miserably damp, but it wasn't really raining. Just misting...coldly. Dog was stoked, though, and so was I. We made it to the park, and it was a shorter walk than I had anticipated. We took the trail for a little while until we came to a softball field. He found a grungy-ass stick in the mud that we ended up playing fetch with. I talked to him the whole trip, and I think on the way to the office, he was pretty embarassed to be around me. I think at one point, I was singing popular songs to him, but doing my best to stick his name in there somewhere. He was mortified.

When I got to the office, I found only one person working there. She said "There's good news and bad news. The good news is, I'm here. The bad news is, the server's down." That power outage? Apparently it affected the entire town and it lasted just long enough to outlast our back up battery. All the stuff we needed to edit or save was completely inaccessible. At least the Internet worked so I was able to crack out on Myspace. I spent an hour or so on the phone with our IT guy trying to get the thing up and running. Our dialog was something like this:

Me: "Okay, done."
IT guy: "Good. Now try to restart."
Me: "Okay. Restarted."
IT guy: "Now log on."
Me: "I got that message again."
IT guy: [frantic typing] "Hm...Let me call you back."


Finally, we both got it up and running again. I'm sure I had nothing to do with it, but I'll take partial credit for it anyway. I was able to get a good amount of work done and I split out of there by 7:30pm so I could walk and feed the dog.

I got home and fed the dog, then had to answer the call of my bowels. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a toilet paper hog, and tonight, our pipes weren't up to the task. Usually, I'm like a fucking Roto Rooter with a plunger, but this time the works were gummed up good, and our toilet had a mini eruption, sending water onto the floor. We don't get a newspaper so I sopped up the water with about a roll and a half of toilet paper. Since I was in there and wet and miserable anyway, I decided to clean up a little. I mopped, washed the towels, cleaned the bowl, sink and shower doors. I couldn't really get the tub though because we don't have Comet, and that's the only stuff I know how to use. Still, I was happy with the results.

I microwaved some leftover pizza and it tasted like ass. Then I went to a local rock show. It was super packed because the kids are back in town, which was cool because it turned out to be a great show. All the bands were good and some of them are my favorites playing around here. I had fun, even though I mostly flew solo--like always--and had a few drinks, but was unable to say much more than hello to someone I've really been wanting to talk to more. That kinda bummed me out.

When I got back from the show, Dog was happy to see me. I threw the ball around with him and felt less emo. To make myself happier, I put on some music on my computer. I remembered that one of the goddesses of rock Annie Hardy did an acoustic medley of Misfits covers for Get the Fuck Up Radio out of Los Angeles. Here's the link. It's worth downloading and listening to over and over again. (It's an MP3.) After that, I put on Pinkerton. So much for feeling less emo.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

Your Saturday was way better than mine. Waaaaay better.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger