Saturday, January 21, 2006

quality time

My friend who's in town still hasn't called, which leads me to believe he won't be calling, which may very well be a good thing because I've been in the same sweatpants all day. The only time I've ventured outside was to go down the block for a burrito and to take the dog for a walk. I'd take him again now, but I don't have a leash for him, and he likes to test my boundaries. Around noon, we walked down to the end of the block and crossed the small foot/bike bridge that crosses the creek (it sounds like I live in a Twain novel). The dog ventured off ahead and started exploring the area along the bank of the creek. He was still in my sights, but I really don't trust the street on the other side of the creek. It's kinda tucked back behind busier streets and seems to have "my dog got hit by a car on that street" written all over it. I called out to him to join me, and my first call went more or less ignored. I knew he heard me, but he preferred to play that whole "garsh, I'm just a dog and can't understand none fancy human speak." But he wasn't fooling me one bit. I marched closer to him and called his name again. This time, he perked up. I'd seen through his elaborate rouse, and now he was playing the loyal card. He jogged closer to me, but he did so while walking in the middle of the street. I hugged close to the bank of the creek and kept calling him to get out of the street, but he just kept jogging--moving with a bouncy gait, his ears pert and his gaze fixed at me, daringly. "Oh look at me. Dog in the street. Hope nothing happens." I know he looks like a saint, but I swear there's malice in those eyes. We also played fetch a few times in the yard. The neighbors were blasting Iron Maiden live. It was pretty awesome. I miss having a dog.

As much as I say I'd like to just do nothing all day, I find I have to force myself to stay inside. Even know, I'm checking my phone to see if it rang without me hearing, as if that was at all possible. Not going out makes me depressed. I've been in sulk mode most of the day. I'm totally uncomfortable when I'm around people and going out, but when I'm staying inside, the fact that there's no people around and there's nothing to do makes me uneasy. It's a mystery.

I did watch a couple movies though: Teaching Mrs. Tingle, a "thriller" with "actress" Katie Holmes (it was actually kinda fun, but I missed the ending because the dog wanted to play fetch--see! Malice); Saved with Mandy Moore (I really liked that one, even though it got kinda sappy and typical towards the end); and With a Friend Like Harry a French movie that was creepy and well acted, but really didn't go anywhere, ever, but made me feel kinda gloomy (it was really very, very French).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You reminded me of a group I havent heard in a long time...Mercury Rev

Erratic Prophet said...

Aww.. Such a cute lil doggie! Who can blame him for not liking Katie Holmes? She got all herped by Tom "The Vitamin" Cruise.

Loved Saved. Funny.

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

Mercury Rev is one of those bands i've heard plenty about, but never heard.

MATT!!! I'VE DONE THE RESEARCH!!!


MAAAAAAAAAAAAATRTTDNJKLSAJDFKJAIWERTTTT!!@W$#$3940ajdla.c

Erratic Prophet said...

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! Stop being glib, MATT!@21!

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

MAAAAAAAAAAAATTT!!!....if i wasn't supposed to be straight I'D TOTALLY MAKE OUT WITH YOU!!!>>>QWHWEQHWHWERE AER MY: CIRTATAMINAS1111!!!!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger