Monday, June 13, 2005

cats, orphans and pointless frustration

We kinda have a cat, meaning that the cat doesn't live in the house. I've seen him once or twice, and he seems nice enough, but I believe the poor fluffy thing has gone somewhat feral. He's got a little food bowl outside and since my roommate has been out of town this weekend, it was my job to feed the cat.

We had a nasty thunderstorm on Friday night, a rarity for up around here, though I think the brunt of it was felt in the foothills. It was pouring buckets, these big fat drops of water and the trees were bending under the force of the winds. I stood out on the porch and called out to the cat, but I wasn't about to go out looking for him. I hoped he was somewhere warm and dry and returned back to the comforts of my couch and my tiny tumbler of Bacardi and RC cola, because I'm a total class act.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The food was gone Saturday morning, so I took that as a good sign. I went out, got drunk, saw a horror movie from Thailand and returned back to my house to watch a couple of truncated episodes of Trailer Park Boys, because the show's really funny and Julian is my new idol.

I spent most of today in my room. I sat on the floor in my underwear and played video games. I only put a pair of pants on because I thought I heard someone coming into the house. No one was there, though. I kept the pants on. I was playing MLB 2003, and I just couldn't beat this one team. I played them like four times, and it was driving me crazy. My palms kept sweating on the controller and my eyes hurt from concentrating so hard. I get stubborn like that somtimes. I didn't even hear the pizza delivery person when she came by. She had to call me on my cell phone. I must have been in there for a while. I finally beat them, though, by one run and I promptly saved the season and turned off my PlayStation 2.

I did muster enough energy to feed myself, do a load of laundry and feed the cat. I relocated to the couch to watch Clerks, which wasn't as funny as I remembered, and Wag the Dog, which was every bit as funny as I remembered. I heard nibbling outside ont he porch and snuck over to the screen door to see if I could catch a glance of the cat. When I got to the door, the food dish had been vacated, so I turned on the porch light and saw a decidely not cat looking face peering back at me. It was a racoon. It was still chewing whatever kibble was left in its mouth and looking at me with these doe-y brown eyes, like out of a Dickens novel. I told it not to worry, turned off the light and sat back down on the couch to watch the rest of my movie. As soon as I sat down, I heard it go right back to the kibble. I hope the cat's okay, but I'm glad the food didn't go to waste.

3 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

You draw in creatures of the night like no one I know. Are you sure you aren't goth?

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

no...i just read the high cost of living too many times.

Michelle said...

Awwwwwww how cute!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger