Thursday, September 09, 2004

it's not even rocktober yet...

I've seen concerts three consecutive nights, and I really couldn't be happier about it.

Tuesday wasn't on purpose. Roommate J told me he was going to the bar just outside of downtown that serves the .75 cent cans of trashy beer. I gathered up some quarters to go, though I wasn't really sure if I wanted to, but he said an all-girl rock band was supposed to play, and that's always a big draw for me. There should be more women in rock 'n' roll, and honestly, there's something just irresistably sexy about a woman with a guitar.

We rolled down to the bar, which was more or less hopping for a Tuesday night in this burgh. The group was from Seattle, and as promised, they were an all-girl rock band. The lead singer was a deceptively stunning tall dark haired woman with smoky eyes, steep high heels and killer legs. I don't mean to just mention her looks, but maybe I do. I am pretty shallow. When she was at the mic, she carried herself with such confidence--perhaps it was overconfidence, because they weren't that good. They kept having equipment problems and sound problems. The singer didn't seem to know how to handle the mic, but I'm sure she did. I looked them up online, and they have played on some pretty high-profile shows. It really looked like an off night for them--they weren't even supposed to play the bar we were at. The venue they were supposed to play at had to bow out because the A/C was busted or something like that, but the band didn't overcome these difficulties with any poise, and came off kinda bratty sometimes.

Whatever. When they were on, they were a lot of fun; I just didn't like all the fuss in between. I would like to check out some of their recorded stuff, because it's probably pretty tight. This live show left a lot to be desired, though.

Unbeknownst to me, there was a second band--featuring the leggy lead singer from the first band as well as a host of others--and they were pretty fucking good, or I was pretty fucking drunk. They had this disco vibe going, a smoke machine and crazy energy. I guess they were trying to be ironic or something, but they definitely put on a show.

Tonight I went to see my coworker's band. They were pretty good, even if the crowd was pretty beat. Everyone was there to see this brobrah not-quite-punk band that looked ready for MTV at the drop of a hat. They had the wacky bass player, the angsty-but-good-looking singer / guitarist guy, the second guitarist guy who could actually play, and the that-guy-playing-drums playing drums--pretty much all the pieces for a successful group. They got booties shaking and dudes pumping their fist because they sounded like...you know, that band? You wouldn't be able to pick it out either, but you'd know what I'm talking about. They're a surefire bet to pack bars around here, which I guess means I'm going to have to put up with them for a while.

Of course there was the beer--roommate J and I ended up at the local watering hole afterwards for the night cap. Some dude there was talking to us about what a disaster his trip to Burning Man was, and this other dude, who I only see at bars and always talks about the Universal Life Church (of which I'm a proud minister) and how they have a survival camp and how it's the church that has the most Satanists, ended up talking to us too. He's one of those random bar characters that you talk to once, and you're kinda paying attention to what he's saying, because you're drunk and it's kinda interesting, and then you realize that he hasn't stopped talking once since he started and all you've done is stand there and nod your head and wish that he'd get bored of you and go away. Today he was talking about some girlfriend of his or whatever; I was barely able to escape. This town is too small to have so many characters; they're impossible to avoid.

Hopefully, I'll be able to write an entry in the next few days that doesn't involve me at a bar.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger