Thursday, September 30, 2004

best.show.ever.

I'm a bit pissed off I missed the first episode, but even from hour two of the pilot, it became quickly apparent that Lost is the best show ever--on network television, in America, on Wednesday nights.

It's like where to begin on the awesomeness of this program? I'm going to be blunt; I usually won't get hooked on a television program unless I'm crushing on one of the female cast members. The makers of Lost, obviously looking for a way to best gain my viewership, loaded their program with two women to garner my affection for at least the next week--Kim Yun-jin from Korea and Evangeline Lilly, who's apparently from the island of sculpted hotties (southeast from the island of misfit toys). There's so much action in this show and so many 'woah! what the fuck did that mean?!' moments and tons of characters that you too get lost in what's going on.

I am a sucker for a good spectacle, which leads me to The Day After Tomorrow, which I watched directly afterward. That was the movie about the global warming ice age fiasco by the guy who did Independence Day and that movie I refuse to call Godzilla. The Day After Tomorrow was so ridiculous, it was absolutely mesmerizing. As a full-fledged weather geek (Weather Underground fucking rules!), all the talk of low pressure systems, climatological shifts and golf ball sized hail made my nipples hard. I think a new ice age would be pretty cool--y'know, loss of life not withstanding.

I also watched Nova today on the local public broadcasting channel. Nova is a serious mind fuck. They're running this program called Origins that talks about how the universe started, and as opposed to the normal numbers and scientific hoo-hah, which it provided, but it focused more on a passionate view of science. I guess since they're dealing with shit you can't really explain, it'd be hard to pull out the abacus and throw down.

Usually, I think science is boring; it's the ultimate wonder killer, but I do find it fascinating, even if I think they're only able to answer the easy questions. I'm more concerned with why things happen than how, if that makes any sense. This Nova program was really cool though, especially a section where they talked about the evolution of intelligence and pointed to cephalopods like octopuses, squids and cuttlefish and how they're able to change their colors and even the texture of their skin to camoflauge themselves. There was one scene where they showed this rock covered with algae and as the camera got closer, this octopus just appeared out of nowhere and scooted off all pissed off.

I watched so much TV today because this cold finally kicked in--at least all the snotty headache-y stuff. I'm not sick, mind you, but my nose has been a fucking river of mucus. Tomorrow's going to be a long day, so it's a super shot of NyQuill and then I'm off to sleep.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

Didn't I tell you? Have I ever mislead you? I told you Lost rocked!

And why am I the link for "Wonder Killer"?

But I totally heard about that Nova show. Someone-- a science geek-- was telling me about it. I need to catch that. And the plural for octopus is octopi. Ahem.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger