Monday, September 20, 2004

bump in the night

I think I slept all day; even when I was awake. I didn't do much but call home, call an out of town friend and move from tv to tv. Most of the football games were only so-so. I was glad to see that the NY Giants had won.

I've been really thinking about writing again. I haven't, of course, but I've really been considering it. I almost did it today, but decided to get something to eat instead. I keep telling myself that it's ok if I finish the book by the time I'm 35. I'll still be young at 35, even if it does sound really old. I should start pacing myself with the partying now, so I can really live like a rock star when I get my big book deal with a film option. It's not the money I want so much; I'll just spend it all as soon as I get it, but it's the accomplishment that matters. I don't know what I'm going on about. It's more of those delusions of grandeur, I think--they used to be a lot worse.

I had fun watching Ju-On: The Grudge again. It's one of the scariest movies that I'm able to sit through. It must be the gnarliest haunted house movie of all time. My roommate really wanted to see it because they're doing an American remake of it starring Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy!) called The Grudge. (Even the Web site's kinda spooky.) The Japanese version's really frightening, though. I think I ran out of breath from all the screaming. The American one is directed by the same guy who did the original Japanese version, so it can't be all that bad.

I don't know why I get off on scary movies so much. Some of them I'm usually hiding my eyes from most of the time. I think it's because it's the only kind of movie that really gets a physical reaction out of me. It's kinda fun to jump and yelp like a great big wuss sometimes.

Today during my slovenly stupor, I heard chiming music outside and realized it was the ice cream man. I hadn't bought ice cream from the ice cream man in years, so I rushed to get my mug o' coins and hustle out to find him. Luckily, his truck was parked right outside my house, and I caught him just on time. I bought a chocolate covered crunch bar on a stick for 75 cents, and it was awesome--kinda gooey and flimsy, but still ice cream of sorts. The ice cream truck was kinda ghetto fabulous--like an old converted mail truck or something, and I had my suspicions, but I figured to give it a whirl anyway, and I'm glad I did. I remember when I used to chase those things down when I was a kid. There was one ice cream man who'd always be parked right outside of my grade school around 3pm when we got out--a genius no doubt, and I'm sure all the parents hated him. The truck was like a mob scene--kids and parents screaming, sugar, sticky fingers and crazed eyes. Kinda scary. One time me and my sister begged my mom for ice cream, and she gave in, but all she had was a 20 dollar bill; this was in the 80s so that was actually a good deal of money...I was only in third grade at the time. It was like i had just won the lottery. 20 bucks?! for the two of us?! that's like...a billion dollars a piece! So me and sis ran over and spent the whole thing. My mom asked us for change, but we didn't have any. We thought we could spend the whole thing. I think she returned our Razzles or something. I think we knew what we were doing, but mom wasn't having it. Can't blame us for trying.


No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger