Saturday, November 13, 2004

visitation

So I went against my good judgement and went out tonight. Again. I'm not sure if I had the money to do so, but my now ex-roommate swung by the house around 11:30p and asked if I was going downtown.

Of course I was.

Turned out that one of the publicists I work with on a more or less daily basis got me on the guest list at a show at the bar just beyond downtown. Not that this was a major feat or anything. This wasn't a hot ticket by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a nice gesture on her part nonetheless, especially since I told her that I probably wouldn't be able to make it. Mounting circumstance made it possible for me to go.

I arrived at the bar, and I was on the list, but I had missed the band the publicist managed, and I felt like a big old jerk...especially the old part. I had a few free drinks, purchased with my liquor stamps, and bought the band's CD to restore my scene karma. I really hope it works. The other bands on the bill were nothing special, so me and my now ex-roommate headed over to the local watering hole where we found ourselves in the company of two young ladies. The three of them were talking about something--I'm not really the talkative type, but I would chime in with laughs and knowing nods at the appropriate times, even though I couldn't hear a word that was being said. It was kinda loud in the bar, after all, and all the rock 'n' roll has done wonders on my hearing.

Since my roommate is a popular chap, we were soon surrounded by the usual flock of local scenesters. This town isn't very big, and on any given night, you're pretty sure to see everyone you know. Among the gaggle was a female coworker of ours and her roommate. Also in attendence was Huggy Guy, who I met during a recent drunken escapade. He and my now ex-roommate seemed to know each other, at least on an acquaintance level. I should have known.

Nothing of real excitement or importance happened I guess, which is also to be expected, but it was a fun time. I ended up wandering outside at the urging of the bar staff and stood in the rain, I guess, for quite some time before I truly realized it was raining. Upon my shocking reveal, I decided I should walk home because my jacket was a mere hoody, and I was already getting rather soaked.

I walked for a while when my drunkeness clashed with my laziness and my wetness and, to the right of me, I spotted a cab which looked like it had just dropped off a fare. I knocked on his window and scared the shit out of him.

"Do you have a fare?" I asked.

"No," he answered, shaking off his intial shock.

"Can I get a ride?"

"Hop in," he said.

I scampered into the back seat, and then I was soon startled by a knock on the window. It was some Random. Random asked me where I was headed. I answered with the general location of my home. He asked if it was cool if we split the cab.

Oddly enough, I've never been asked that before, so my first thought was to look at the cabby. I really had no problem with it, but was this good policy? Was it legal?

The cabby said, "It's up to you, man."

So I agreed, and the random hopped in the cab with his two random friends. They were on the way to my house anyway, and at 2:15am on an early Saturday morning, it's not like I was in a rush to get anywhere. Turned out it was a good decision to let the randoms share my cab. Their ride reduced my fare by a couple of bucks, which is a good thing when you're as broke as I am, and the three randoms provided entertainment by way of their stupid dramas.

I'm not sure what the deal was, but one random received a call from this random girl on his cell phone. He had the volume turned up hella loud, so I heard the whole conversation. Apparently, girl was pissed at her stupid boyfriend because he had done her wrong. From the conversation, it was easy to see that this was not the first time this had happened. Random guy in the car was all, " you have to dump that guy." Then other random dude asks to be let out of the car! The two remaining randoms are all, "but you don't even have a phone," but emo random is all, "I'll find you guys. I'll meet you at the house."

I guess he just needed to be all emo and walk in the rain. The cabby and I were silent. The cabby dropped the rest of the randoms off, and then the cabby and I started laughing about the whole thing. I told him I felt bad, because I was such a boring fare. I was usually just wasted and needed to get home, as was the case this evening. He told me that he was tired of the interesting fares--all the dramas and whatnot. He had had enough, though he did confess that sometimes his female passengers would flash him, and suddenly, I thought it might not be so bad to be a cabby.

*I'm drunk and sleepy...I left this post unedited. Just fix any errors in your own head. Thank you.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger