Monday, August 23, 2004

keeping the sabbath holy

In accordance with tradition, I've spent this entire Sunday lazing about like a great big sack of sloth-burger. It's nice, because I like days when I don't have to do anything. I wasn't entirely useless today, though. I cleaned the kitchen and drove my roommate's car down to the pizza place to pick up dinner and a twelve pack of beer, which I'm drinking now (not all twelve, mind you).

It's been a weird past couple of days with the rap show and all, but also the weather's been a little strange. It's been increasingly breezy, and the gusts are blowing the walnuts off the trees in my neighborhood. The walnuts are everywhere. I never realized that a walnut is actually the pit of a fruit, the flesh of which is green and not very deep, but they get all rotted and gross once they fall of the branch. When cars drive over them, they make a popping noise, and since there have been so many of them falling to the ground, every car that comes down the road sounds like it's driving over a long strip of giant-sized bubble wrap.

Also, tomorrow is the first day of class at the university here in town, and while that doesn't really affect me all that much--because I'm old--the town has changed completely over night. As I walk up the Esplanade from my office to my house, I can see people in the windows of apartments that were empty just the night before. It's like I've moved to a completely different place without going anywhere. A lot of the locals complain about the students, but I like it when they're here. ...It gives me something to write in my blog about.

It's strange living in a place that's so dependent on a school. New York has plenty of colleges, but that's just a small part of the day to day life, they're pretty much insignificant. This place wouldn't exist as it does now if it weren't for the school. It's kind of like living in a sports arena would be like, I think--a lot of down, then suddenly it's chaos...people come in, take it over, then leave.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger