Thursday, January 18, 2007

i'm addicted

I can't stop signing petitions.

A MySpace bulletin from my friend, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (we go back) alerted me to the plight of its brethren Tongass National Forest, which is also in Alaska. I won't go into it, but it's about logging. This time, I even wrote a personal note to Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth on why I thought he should reconsider. Nevermind that until yesterday, I never knew Alaska even had a rain forest, and even if I had, I'd be too afraid to go to it. I thought it was a good letter, though. And I like to think of Alaska as some undiscovered wilderness where you can get a pint of dark beer in the middle of the day next to a bull moose and a Kodiak bear.

Before that, I received an e-mail about a BoDog artist named Nazanin Afshin-Jam, who apparently succeeds at a lot of things, but is most notable for her ability to make me realize that I'm a selfish piece of shit. She was Miss Canada, runner up of Miss World and is now a pop star who has fought endlessly to use her position in the spotlight to raise awareness of humanitarian issues. The e-mail told the story of another Nazanin, a young girl of 17 who was sentenced to death in Iran. Afshin-Jam, herself an Iranian immigrant whose family fled Tehran during the revolution of 1979, was alerted to the story when someone who was doing a Web search for the imprisoned Nazanin found her pop star namesake instead.

Nazanin was out with her niece when a group of men tried to rape them. She ended up stabbing one of them in self-defense, and he later died. There was a petition to keep her from being executed, which must have worked because she was exonerated of the murder charges. I had already signed it though. I guess I missed the boat on that one. Anyway, now she's got to pay blood money or something for killing the dude and her family's dirt poor. There's a fund for that...but NO petition. I feel useless.

If that weren't enough, a third petition (of sorts) was brought to my attention, one the struck closer to home. Olivia Munn, co-host of G4's Attack of the Show and Queen Lord of My Fan Boy Heart, threw her lasso in the race to be the next Wonder Woman. As if being funny and beautiful and knowledgeable about video games weren't enough. I think this qualifies as evidence that there is a God, and his comics collection is about 400 long boxes deep.



(I'm also pretty stoked on parentheses.)

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Hee! I think I have a bit of a crush on her now..

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

she's mine! i saw her first!

but i guess we can share...

groowrrr...

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger