Thursday, January 18, 2007

i was asleep when creative writing 101 taught us about the segue

I started writing this post about Time Magazine's Person of the Year, You, meaning Us, meaning Everyone. Belated congratulations, by the way. Basically, the article said that Web sites like MySpace and YouTube have allowed the many to wrest away the power from the few. You can read it here. I guess it's a nice sentiment, but I'm not really sure I agree.

While I accept the award happily (I'm still waiting for my plaque), I'm not sure We're deserving of this dubious honor. We did a lot of blogging and posted a lot of videos, but the only thing that really came out of it was Tila Tequila (she's my friend).

Still, I think in years to come, 2006 will be looked back on as a pivotal year in human history, but I could just be saying that because it's nice to think that you've lived through a pivotal time in human history. I don't remember what else I wanted to say about all that. I started writing it before the holidays. And I don't know how that leads me to this next topic, but I'm just going to make that leap and keep my fingers crossed.

I spent most of the day signing petitions on Congress.org, because I'd signed one once regarding the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and have since been getting regular e-mails about other issues that will tickle my bed-wetting, liberal fancy. Today, I sent two notes to my representative to let him know I was in favor of cutting interest rates on student loans and tax breaks to big oil companies so they could pursue alternative energy sources. There was a space to add additional comments on both letters, but I couldn't think of anything better to say than "Lower interest rates on my student loans might actually inspire me to make payments on them," for the former and, "I'm too poor to own a car, so I really don't care how much it costs you to fill up your fucking SUV," for the latter. I'm not very good at democracy.

3 comments:

Pain said...

Transitional statements are for the poorly prepared. All the great wordsmiths ramble.

An open invittation to come in and enjoy, "Hell's leading daily newspaper!"



http://thedisbrimstone-dailypitchfork.blogspot.com/


Qu'ul cuda praedex nihil!

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

thank you, sir. i'll have to take you up on that invitation. does it have a comics section?

Erratic Prophet said...

Hell has a newspaper? What next?

I want my award. When are they sending it to me? I'm waiting.

How I loathe SUVs...

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger