Saturday, April 08, 2006

guest blogger

Today was very frustrating, and I have the pit stains to prove it. I try not to get angry, ever. It happens, though, because I'm Sicilian and if we're not happy, we're very angry. Like blow your brains into the spaghetti angry. I used to get very angry as a kid, but I've learned to temper that emotion, as well as the rest of them. And the concentration it takes to do so stresses me out. I knew I was having a bad day, because even my fantasy baseball team having a bad day made me woefully depressed and aggravated.

It was work, really, that put me in such a sour mood. I don't have much to look forward to outside the office. My job is all there is for me right now. mgggggggvbbbbbbbbbxxxxxxxxx\]/////////////////////////////..................

That was the cat, by the way. He fancies himself a blogger, I guess. His name is Jake and he usually has little use for me, which is fine, because I have little use for him. I'm not a cat person. I don't have a problem with cats, most of the time, I'd just rather not keep them in my home. They can take care of themselves perfectly fine without me. Being that I'm a pretty solitary and aloof person, I enjoy the company of a pet that actually cares whether or not I show up at home. Jake only gives me the time of day when it's 3am, and I'm the only person awake, such as now. Sometimes he rattles my doorknob to get into my room when I've locked myself in to go to sleep. I'll let him in, he'll start climbing on shit and getting into things, then I'll get up out of bed and usher him out of my room. If I'm on the computer this time of night, he'll either hop in my lap, like he did when he did some typing just then, or jump up on the desk and stand between myself and the monitor and just look at me. He's technically not my cat, but I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm his human.

Anyway, I don't have a house, a garden, a child, a pet or a significant other, and I don't want any of these things. Except a dog, because when I want love, I like the unconditional variety. Cats and people aren't known for such things. Also, gardens mean I'd have to be outside with the bugs. And I'm never home, so owning a house would be pretty stupid. I think renting's pretty stupid, too, but they won't allow you to sleep in a storage facility. And for that I blame Republicans.

The other day, I had a conversation over AIM with a writer of ours, a freelancer who's been working in the business a lot longer than I have. She was an editor for some big city local magazine and was able to parlay that into a career as a freelancer. She seems really cool, and she's down to divulge information. She spoke a language I understood and she told me that I'm heading down the right path, and that, if I wanted to and kept at it, my position right now would lead to bigger and better things. It was on the motivational tip, but it was nice to hear--well, read. I'm so removed from other pros in the field up here, that I don't know if I'm doing what I should be doing. My only peers are the people I work with, and we're all in the same boat. Not that I think they're not talented. They are. But it was nice to speak with someone who has way more experience and realize we could chat on the same level. More or less. And then I had to proof the entire magazine today and considered jumping out a window. Being mild mannered is hard work.

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Maybe if you dramatically whipped off your glasses every so often to make a point you'd feel better. Or just change into a super hero costume in a phone booth. Do they still have those?

Michelle said...

Lmfao @ bugs......

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger