Wednesday, April 12, 2006

40 days and 40 nights

I'm pretty sure we're headed for the end of days. I can't remember the last day we had that didn't have drizzle, showers, steady soaking storms and/or full-on down pours here in California. I think it started in March, but from what I hear, there's no end in sight. I'm not a big fan of the sun, in fact, I can't stand the sun. Still, the nonstop raining or threat of rain or laying in wait of the ensuing rain storm is rather troubling. Last week, the creek at the end of my block was more akin to a mini Mississippi; it was all brown and wide and rushing and deep and just the sight of it made me feel kinda glad that the house I rent is built on a raised foundation. It's been coming down pretty hard for most of the night tonight, so I'm sure the creek will be pretty deep come morning. I'm beginning to know how Noah felt. Unfortunately, I'm really bad at building things, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone else I know can fashion a sea-faring vessel out of olive branches or whatever they used back then. As long as I don't have to hang out in the hold with all the critters.

On a funny side note (or maybe not so funny depending on your view of things), the search for a decent image of Noah' s Arc (believe or not, that was the best one I could find) yielded rather surprising results. The number one image result (and link for that matter) for the search "Noah's Arc" came up with the picture here to the right. It's from a show called Noah's Arc, which, according to Noahsarc.net, is "America's First Black Gay Series." I can only imagine the shock and awe this must have inspired in middle American Sunday School teachers looking for a way to snazz up their lesson on the stories of the Old Testament. I guess it's not so funny, but it made me chuckle. I didn't dare do a search for "Jonah and the Whale," seeing as I can be kinda prudish, but feel free to give it a whirl yourselves.

My aunt and uncle sent me an Easter card today with a check for $20. I feel bad because I don't send cards to anyone, for anything. I do call on birthdays, and I figure flying out there for Christmas and whatnot shows I still care. And I do, of course, but I'm way too selfish and self-centered. I did call my grandma on her birthday a couple days ago. Just turned 103. I don't have a real phone, so I had to talk to her on my cell, and she doesn't hear so good, but she knew it was me. We talked for five minutes or so. She kinda yells on the phone, so it was just as hard for me to make out what she was saying also. Luckily, I'll be heading back east a couple more times than just Christmas this year, so I'll be able to see her (and eat me some White Castles) pretty soon.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

Awww.. Happy Birthday, Nana!

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger