Saturday, February 11, 2006

the winter olympics

It's exciting to me that the Olympics have started. I'm so excited that I almost sat through the entire opening ceremonies. I sat through the fire anvil thing, which was really on some shit. I watched some dudes snowboard and ski even though I don't consider either of those things sports. They're more like activities for rich kids who like to smoke weed. I don't deny that either of those things (including smoking weed) take skill and concentration.

I watched the parade of nations. I watched the large delegations--like the Canadians, who Bob Costas said are very good at the Winter Olympics, and I retorted that it was because it's always winter in Canada (you call it cross country skiing, they call it commuting)--and the small delegations--like the one dude who can cross country ski from Kenya, and the old woman from the US Virgin Islands who they call grandma luge or something to that effect. I think I made it up to Kyrgyzstan before I went out to the bar. I like seeing all the nations great and small. I like seeing the dudes and dudettes who have no chance at taking home a medal waving their country's flag, even though most people in the western world couldn't find it on a map, even if their lives depended on it. I think I know where Kyrgyzstan is though. It's with the rest of the Stans, and it's one of the few we haven't started bombing yet. But give it time.

When the Iranian delegation came out--all five of them--the news anchor who was cohosting with Bob Costas had to go on about how the Iranian leader was very controversial, and how he's said things that are very anti-US; I'd imagine that's because he knows that he's next on the bombing list, and you've got to rally the troops. I thought it was interesting that the anchor brought that up, because previous to that he was talking all this shit about how the Olympics are supposed to bring the whole world together, and whether or not those Iranian curlers or biatheletes or whatever the fuck it was that they were there to compete in were down with the US or wished that Allah would strike us all down was irrelevant. I support their right to believe one way or the other. Because that's what freedom is, isn't it?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Was'nt that anvil thing something! I tell ya, i'm going to light my next birthday cake just like it!

Of course the 40 Aussies, will be lucky to come home with anything except a cold.....we just don't do Winter :)

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

haha...they were trying to tell us that there was snow on some of the southernmost mountains, but i totally wasn't buying it.

the anvil was on some shit, but not as much as when all the people got in the form of a skier doing a ski jump...totally badical.

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I developed a crush on Lindsey Jacobellis after that silly Visa check commerical, so I'm now interested in the Olympics for the sole purpose of watching her snowboardcross, whatever that is.

if_i_had_a_hammer said...

yeah...snowboardcross sounds like something invented so you can convince your dad to buy you a snowboard. but whatever's cool. lindey's super cute, but i wouldn't mind eating hash brownies with the entire women's snowboard team. you know they're down.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger