Tuesday, November 22, 2005

frances farmer will have her revenge on my bowels

Seattle is an amazing city. It reminds me a lot of New York, but manages to stay totally different too. It helps if you go there and you're put up in a really nice hotel, though.

The trip went really well. I had a great time. I don't feel like going into too much detail, but I'm going to put up shitty pictures that I took with my cell phone camera, and they're all brilliant works of art, but it went a little something like this.

  1. It only costs us $2.00 to get downtown from Seattle/Tacoma airport taking the regular city bus. The trip took all of 15 minutes--well maybe a bit longer. This was a good thing, because Seattle is pretty expensive. Not San Diego expensive, but I don't think anywhere is. But then again, everything's expensive when you don't have any money
  2. Hung out at the Sub Pop office. They had a really cool dog, who the publicist I work with said "is a lot like Eeyore." We shared a deep, spiritual bond.
  3. Had a loose, fun, but still awkward interview with Mark Arm and even got to meet Dan Peters, who in addition to rocking with Mudhoney, also played drums in Nirvana for a bit and was featured in the recording of "Sliver," which is one of my favorite songs. He has a kid now and that rocks too.
  4. Met people from all over the world, and even "networked" with out feeling like a slimebag about it.
  5. Received two free lunches and two free dinners, which was good because of the reason stated above.
  6. Everything in town was in walking distance from our hotel. Well, everything we needed to go to. The weather was nice and cold, but it never rained. I don't think it got out of the 50s. I walked all over town and didn't get lost once.
  7. Went to a bad ass independent book store on Capitol Hill that sold independent comics pretty exclusively. I picked up the latest issue of Optic Nerve, a book called Hey, Wait... and a couple of books by local artists.
  8. Thursday night was one of the most fun nights I can remember having. Some old school New York dance music DJ was spinning as well as some kids from the event we were covering. Heard a lot of good dance and soul music and the old school DJ from New York rocked such a killer set that everyone in the room was moving. You couldn't not move. Even I was moving and I can't abide by such things.
  9. Happened upon this oyster bar called The Brooklyn. I don't like oysters, but the place had killer fried calimari that came with a dipping sauce that was a secret recipe. It was real good. We were dipping bread, french fries and whatever else we could into it. It also had killer strong microbrew like evil Old Rasputin on tap. It was also really cheap.
  10. I had a real Washington apple for breakfast every morning. They were free at the hotel's front desk. And the bed in the room was so nice that coming home to my bargain basement twin sort of depressing. There was also a really nice bathrobe, that I really should have stolen.

The only thing that sucked was, for whatever reason, as soon as I got off the plane pretty much, I couldn't hold down any food. I spent a good portion of each day on the toilet bowl contributing to the Seattle septic system. I think me and the water up there didn't get along. Luckily, it wasn't too debilitating. I'm still getting readjusted to being back, but tomorrow I'll post some pictures and partying the last night with some old school rock dudes. And anything else I can think of.

2 comments:

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I want to go there now. Sounds wonderully relaxing.

Michelle said...

Glad you had a successful trip, happy thanksgiving J :)

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger