Tuesday, November 08, 2005

look, i really hate goodbyes, so...

I'd been putting it off for a while, but tonight I finished the last disc of Season 2 of Dead Like Me. God.

I'm kinda bummed. Season 2 was really good, but nothing really gets wrapped up. I kinda got to know those characters really well. I just hope there's a wrap-up movie or something, because I feel like I'm owed an explanation.

It never ceases to amaze me that shitty shows stay on the air forever, but good stuff usually gets canned after a couple of seasons. And it was on fucking cable, so it's not like they have to worry about advertising dollars. I pay for that shit! I pay for Shotime. I'm writing my damn congressman and getting this stupid show back.

I guess we're supposed to vote tomorrow. I think the Governator called for some ridiculous special election. Honestly, I don't even know what it's all about. I'm living proof that democracy doesn't work. It's a type of government that requires a certain amount of participation by the governed, in this case me. I think politicians nowadays are banking on people like me, to be honest. They don't want me to get involved. In fact, they don't want me to show up to the polls. They want me to sit on my ass and bitch about my favorite shows getting cancelled. They want me to watch Lost and post pictures of women I'm drooling over on my blog. That's fine, I guess, because that's really all I want to do. I don't want to participate in something I don't believe in.

I don't believe government works. Not on a mass scale, anyway. Even if the majority think one way, there's still a good number of folks who get screwed. What everyone wants isn't always what's best. I dont' even know what's best, and I'm sick of the commercials trying to convince what I should and shouldn't vote for. Or even better yet, the commercials about the commercials that tell me what to vote for.

Judge Wapner of the old court show, and I believe one of the first proto-reality shows, the People's Court told me that I should vote no on Prop. 77. There are four propositions in this "special" election. The other side has a commercial that shows clips of the Judge Wapner commerical that says--basically, honestly my brain shuts off--that the Honorable Mr. Wapner is full of horseshit and that he's just talkin' crazy talk. Then John McCain, who seems pretty nice--for a republican--comes on and says we shouldn't let politicians decide what the districts are, but we should let judges draw them up, implying that politicians are not to be trusted. I totally agree, but an interesting conundrum arises from a politician telling me not to trust politicians. Judge Wapner has never steered me wrong before.

It's like that old riddle. It used to bug the shit out of me. I think it was in the movie Labrynth, but I'm sure they didn't make it up: There's two doors, one door leads to all the life and happiness you can handle (in my case, endless strip clubs full of nubile young Asian women and free lap dances--and pizza...and y'know world peace and shit like that) and the other leads to certain painful death (assumably by watching political commercials). There's one guard stationed at each door. One guard always lies, and the other one always tells the truth. Of course, you don't know which one guards which door. You only are allowed to ask one question to one of the guards to determine which door you should choose (assuming of course you'd like to follow the door that leads to endless strip clubs and world peace and not death by political propaganda).

The answer used to boggle my mind. I thought about it long and hard, but I've never been one for being able to solve such things. I love riddles, but more so when I don't know the answer and have to wrack my brain to figure out how to solve it. I always though riddles were kinda creepy and mysterious that way, which I guess they're supposed to be.

The answer to this riddle, my favorite riddle, is pretty simple. You just go to whichever guard, it doesn't matter which, and ask him (or her) which door the other guard would tell me is the door to eternal strip clubs and world peace. You then choose the opposite door. The logic behind that is if you asked that to the guard who always lied, he'd make it seem like the other was the liar, and if you asked the truthful one, he'd tell you truthfully that the other one is trying to condemn you to the tedious chattering of attention-starved politicos. Always choose the opposite door.

I'm sure there's some kind of analogy I can draw from all that, but I'd rather not bother. I'm kinda disenchanted by the whole process. I don't see how the majority of a country could vote for obvious criminals. Putting the power of who gets to make decisions that affect millions of people who al have different wants and needs in the hands of people like this, or me for that matter, seems about as logical as divine providence. At least then you can blame it on God.

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger