Thursday, August 25, 2005

my fortune reads: you display the wonderful traits of charm and courtesy


[photo by Brian Dudek]

Dinner at the Chinese restaurant turned out to be pretty interesting. For me anyway. I had a huge bowl of the house special won ton soup. This thing is massive. It has a ton of won tons, bok choy, chicken, beef, pork and shrimp in a tasty broth. It's a meal in and of itself. I get emotional just thinking about its hearty goodness.

Somehow, a discussion about Korea in the 1980s--one of the people I was eating with was stationed in the army there--turned to deep philosophy and metaphysics once I said, "You know, South Korea is the most wired country in the world." I'm not sure where I'd heard that. I don't even know if it's true, but I imagine that it is.

From there we ventured into the rising prominence of China as a world super power. And then--I don't know how--but we were all talking very intently about global warming and how and why it would eventually lead into the next ice age. The conclusion from that part of the conversation was that we all needed to learn Chinese and move to Mexico. Neither of which seems like a particularly bad idea.

After that things got trippy as for some reason we were discussing why humans can't fully grasp the idea of infinite. I don't know why all of this happened. But it was fun, even though contemplating such things makes my brain hurt.

I'm supposed to take a flight tomorrow night--midnight--back to New York for my sister's engagement party on Saturday. Ted Leo/Pharmicists are playing a free show at South Street Seaport on Friday night, and I really want to go. I've liked everything I've heard from Ted Leo, even though I don't own any of his albums. It should be fun, to be outdoors for a rock show in the city, in the stomping grounds of Easty, the East River Monster (he exists. I done seen him with me own eyes) at the same place I saw the Meat Puppets for a free show on Earth Day like a billion years ago. That was a good day. I usually party the night before I go on a flight--just in case I don't get to do that again, but tonight, given my financial situation, I decided to sit home, drink the rest of my fridge beers and help my roommate clean the house because her parents are coming to stay here tomorrow night.

Right now, I'm watching Overnight, a documentary about Troy Duffy, the dude who wrote and directed Boondock Saints, which was a very excellent film, mostly because Willem Dafoe is a supreme bad ass, even when he's playing a not-so closet homosexual cop. This documentary's just as good. It tells the story of Duffy, and his cronies, who was just a Hollywood bartender originally from Boston, who wrote a really decent script and was propelled into it-boy status. His overnight success turns Duffy and co. into insufferable pricks, or more likely, just heightens the pricktitude that was always lying in wait. Dude believes the hype so much, you don't feel bad when Hollywood's more powerful pricks slap Duffy upside the head. Fuckin' hard too. It's no wonder why no one ever wanted to work with him ever again (though a sequel is in production according to Imdb.com). The movie brings new meaning to the words "uncomfortable laughter."

No comments:

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger