Sunday, June 18, 2006

the greatest bocce ball nation on the face of the planet

We gathered for 'brunch' at 11am to watch the US take on Italy in the World Cup. Things did not go well--for either team, really. The US played much better than their last match, though, and walked away with a tie. They'll still need to beat Ghana and get a lot of help to move on to the next round, though.

It was a really sloppy game. It was more like watching kids in a schoolyard than watching a World Cup match. There were three red cards and a ton of fouls; one disallowed goal; and the only goal the US scored was kicked in by one of the Italians. But we all shouted a lot and we watched the game with an actual Italian--not a fake one like me--and it was fun to watch her get so into it. She was hanging on every pass and wasn't all that stoked that her team walked away with a tie. During the match, the announcer referred to Italy as "one of the greatest soccer nations on the face of the planet." Hyperbole is alive and well.

Afterwards, we all headed out into the backyard and I set my sights on the bocce ball set. I hadn't played in years, not since my grandfather was still alive, but I was determined to strike up a game. We got two teams of two: Myself and the Italian woman were blue, in honor of the Azzurri. About halfway through the match, I picked up my form and we won 13-9. We had to cut the game short, because I had to go to work. We've just started another project, so it looks like my free time will be a fond memory. We got it done, though, and afterwards, my boss showed up with his Affluent White Male friends and he bought me in to their game of poker. It was good times. I beat this smug bastard good: He had four aces, but I had a straight flush. Sorry dog. Later, in a game they called "Screw Your Neighbor" I advanced all the way to the end and when my opponent passed me his three, taking my queen of hearts, I thought for sure I had lost. I called for the card on the top of the deck, as it was my right to do, and he tossed me a shiny ace of hearts. I made it out of there with the boss's $20 and went and rented myself a movie.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

Thank god that game's name isn't literal. That could be distinctly unpleasant.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger