Tuesday, May 08, 2007

my new car

Over the past week or so, I'd been planning to buy a new Toyota Yaris. The car's small and really good on gas and kinda spunky looking which were all the things I was looking for. I found one with the right color and options and just today handed in my credit application. I was excited.

"This is exciting!" said the agent at the car buying place who has been working with me over the past couple weeks.

"I know!" I said, because it was.

I waited all day to hear back whether or not I got the 6.9% financing that would make my payments manageable. I got a really good quote from GEICO on insurance--I even got an e-mail with the gecko on it--and had figured that even though I'd be eating Ramen and table salt for the next few years, I would at least be able to sit in my car and pretend I was going somewhere. I'd already planned to take a trip up into this podunk foothill town that has a really good Chinese restaurant with really nice owners. While I was there, I could pick up the office dog and bring him back down for the weekend. Perhaps I'd also a trip up to this little town further north in the valley that has a burger stand that sells tater tots and frostys.

I thought maybe I'd take a drive to the coast some weekend or do a day trip to Reno and play penny slots with the mug full of change I have in the living room. There must be at least $30 in there.

I don't need a car. I've lived here over five years without one. I don't need it to go to work; the office and all the bars worth going to (though they're not so much worth going to anymore) are all in walking distance. I'm over all the restaurants around me, but there's really nothing to exciting outside my walking distance. I've even hoofed it to the supermarket on a few occasions, though having a car would make those trips a lot easier. Mostly, I just wanted a car. When I was talking to my mom about it she told me I should have something besides work. It's true, I guess. All I know is, this morning when I woke up, I actually wanted to get out of bed so I could drop off my credit ap, and I haven't had many days like that lately. It's why I haven't been writing much, because I'd rather get over myself in private.

I got the call around 4 or so that my financing didn't come through. My credit's good. I knew that. I've had plenty of credit checks before. But I got a lot of debt because of school loans and credit card bills that I ran up when I first moved here and so I could take regular trips back home. I thought I'd budgeted it out, but seems like somewhere around 81% of my income goes to debt. The agent told me she could get me a rate that was around 8.9% which I guess is still really good. The payments would go up a bit, but I was going to be scraping by as it was. Hearing back about my credit report was pretty shitty too. I don't need another bill. I've never been much of a morning person anyways.

2 comments:

Erratic Prophet said...

Aw, man. That sucks! Hex them! Stupid Yaris people. Who do they think they are?

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Wouldn't you rather have alcohol over ease of travel? Because the two mix badly.

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger