Wednesday, May 16, 2007

it had to be you

I've been playing this game with myself lately. I ponder whether I should stay up late and do some work at home or just try to get up early and take care of it in the morning. Usually, I opt for trying to get up early. Over the past week, it's worked once. Friday, I was at the office by 9 and finished a story on The Meat Puppets. I wasn't as happy with it as I'd hoped. I kinda wrote it long form and should have been more mindful of my word count. I thought I set the scene pretty well, it just took me a long time to do so. When you've only got 800 words to describe an experience you'll tell your grandkids about, you've got to make them count. You've still also got to make it relevant to others, because no one cares about your sentimental crap. I think I stumbled on that last bit, but I'll have another chance to rewrite it. Today, I brought home a stack of CDs to review, but I'm just going to take care of them in the morning. I decided my evening would be better served with sports and Chinese takeout and my last bottle of Moose Drool. I've gotta run out and buy another six.

When it comes to sports, I'm really loyal and super picky. I haven't been able to get behind another team since I was a New Jersey Devils fan. That was about 18 years ago, and the affair lasted till I moved to California. Now it's just the Mets and the football Giants. For the longest time, I've tried to get into a local team, but to no avail. I tried to half-heartedly cheer for the Sharks, but they're not really local, and I don't know anyone who's into hockey, so that ended that. The A's and the Giants are out, because my heart bleeds Mets; I hate the Raiders and the 49ers can go to hell. The closest team is the Sacramento Kings, who are kinda folk heroes up here, but their fans are so fairweather, and I've never really been much into basketball. However, over the past month or so, I really got into the Golden State Warriors and their unlikely playoff run, which was ended today by the Utah Jazz.

After they upset the Mavericks in round one, I was pretty hooked. Watching the game on TV from the Oracle Arena, where 20,000 fans were standing and screaming and chanting, "Air ball," was a total rush, so I settled into the unfamiliar role of frontrunner, and I enjoyed the ride for as long as it lasted. I mean, with plays like this, I doubt there's any sports fan who wouldn't be stoked.



At I saw the game slipping out of the Warriors' hands, I figured I'd just shrug it off, but I felt that familiar bubbling of frustration--a feeling you grow accustomed to cheering for the New York Mets. I began cursing under my breath, then out loud, and then muttering hateful things at the opposing team. It could have been the heat of the moment, but maybe I've finally found my local team.

1 comment:

Erratic Prophet said...

How can you put anything called Moose Drool in your mouth? Is it like a dare?

Footer

Life, as it happens.
Powered By Blogger